Science Fiction Book covers

Is that cover of The October Country by Charles Addams?

It is actually by Joseph Mugnaini, who did a lot of work with Bradbury.

Examples:

81E7FcIEwaL.jpg
72127.jpeg

I've always liked the dynamic covers that Ron Turner used to do back in the day.
View attachment 83292View attachment 83293 View attachment 83294

His art took the 1930s pulp covers , turned down the sex (he was working for UK publishers in the 1950s here) and turned up everything else to eleven - or sometimes twelve. I only have a few books with his covers and they are all pretty terrible. But who wouldn't want to read something written by someone called 'Volsted Gridban'? (A pseudonym used by John Russell Fearn and E C Tubb).
I have one of these. Picked up years ago in a school jumble sale. The story is absolute tosh but I love the cover.
CB9196F5-989F-4D32-B50D-4168255A8A26.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgive me, but I have always been a Star Wars collector and I collect the books, especially the hardbacks, (although it is some time since I last read one of them), I always had quite a soft spot for the the earlier book covers.

HTTE.jpeg

The cover art had a wonderful feel to it. (It is, ort course, entirely possible that it's nostalgia). One of the books that I'm looking to track down is a paperback copy of "Heart of the Jedi" by Kenneth C. Flint.

C8B7FC7D-3B49-4B6B-A677-1452CCC881F1.png

Apparently, it was written in the Heir to the Empire era but Lucasfilm decided that they wanted to move in another direction and it was never published. The author had some printed but was quickly hit with a Cease and Desist order.

Last edited:
When in my early twenties, I went through a phase of reading the Pocket Books Star Trek titles. (A period in my reading history that I look back on fondly.) Some pretty great covers in among that lot, including artists such as Boris Vallejo.

B45EAC9E-9E33-4F06-A9FB-A2616E8F6FD9.jpegA59CC9E6-8F39-4980-96FA-338F952B35F0.jpegF9771C9F-A373-4E22-B253-DC996E952959.jpeg

Great likenesses that captured the character personality somewhat.

Of the books, I preferred the TOS ones but TMP Enterprise was my favourite cover art.

Last edited:
Sorry. I have reloaded some more examples. The books at the time had a similar feel to them and the covers tended to be similar. I liked it. As I say, I remember reading them fondly.

This is actually the original painting from which the cover was made apparently. I can't find a good enough image of the actual book cover to do it justice The book is The Flying Sorcerers by David Gerold & Larry Niven. To explain why this is hilarious would be a terrible spoiler. Those who understand, laugh. Those who don't, put it away on your mental shelf of puzzles and one day it may hit you.

The-Flying-Sorcerer.jpg