Science Fiction Book covers

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I've always loved the art featured on Science Fiction books and figured that it'd be nice to start a thread to discuss book covers. It's a great subject, i think as new covers for old books are released all the time.

I especially enjoy the work of artists such as Chris Foss, Roger Dean, Boris Vallejo, Rodney Matthews and more recently, Jon Sullivan. I also have a soft spot for the art of the 70's and 80's and the weirder the better.

My favourite book covers are those tableaux style covers that run across several volumes. My first experience of this style was the dune books released in the early 90's.

Anyway, I thought i'd start the thread with the Dune Panorama covers that i found online.

Dune Panorama.jpg

Please post your favourite or weirdest book covers.

Last edited:
One of my favourite early SF memories is reading Edmund Cooper books. The Coronet covers I had were all Chris Foss art, I think.

I can't find many of the ones that I had, but A Far Sunset was one of my favourites. The cover I had was the one on the left. The other two are covers that I found on line, but still look like they're classic covers. Perhaps US.

a_far_sunset.jpg a_far_sunset 1.jpg a_far_sunset 2.jpg

The Overman Culture

A Seahorse In The Sky.jpg

My first foray into the mind of Iain M. Banks was a book club purchase of Use of Weapons. I know it's shallow, but I like space ships and I was drawn to it by the cover art.

9780356191607-uk.jpg

The ISFDB has an interesting page where they showcase all the covers. Of them all, this one is the most interesting to me because i like the "alien" look of the writing above and below the images.

iain-banks-pbs-look-windward_1_1a876cd1588c0ae964007a658fb78c56.jpg

One of my favourite early SF memories is reading Edmund Cooper books. The Coronet covers I had were all Chris Foss art, I think.

I can't find many of the ones that I had, but A Far Sunset was one of my favourites. The cover I had was the one on the left. The other two are covers that I found on line, but still look like they're classic covers. Perhaps US.

View attachment 83196 View attachment 83198 View attachment 83199

The Overman Culture

View attachment 83195
The one on the right is the one I have. The artist is David Bergen, a name I was unfamiliar with but bought the book based on cover art alone.

I've always loved the art featured on Science Fiction books and figured that it'd be nice to start a thread to discuss book covers. It's a great subject, i think as new covers for old books are released all the time.

I especially enjoy the work of artists such as Chris Foss, Roger Dean, Boris Vallejo, Rodney Matthews and more recently, Jon Sullivan. I also have a soft spot for the art of the 70's and 80's and the weirder the better.

My favourite book covers are those tableaux style covers that run across several volumes. My first experience of this style was the dune books released in the early 90's.

Anyway, I thought i'd start the thread with the Dune Panorama covers that i found online.

View attachment 83188

Please post your favourite or weirdest book covers.
The Berkley trade covers of the Dune series do the same thing. I had found an image of all the covers open online but I can't seem to find it now.

The set of 3 Foundation paperbacks I had did that. They had Chris Foss covers and when placed side by side , front covers upwards, they formed one larger image.