Your first SciFi/fantasy book

SmellyDawg

What was you very first SciFi/fantasy book you've ever read?

Mine was The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I was 24 at the time and had to stay at the hospital for 3 months. After a few weeks I was super bored and I wandered around and found a few books former patients had left in the lounge. One of them was said book and I stared reading it out of complete boredom. At the end I absolutely loved it and couldn't believe that I missed out so much for the past 24 years! My second attempt was the Eragon Trilogy. Ever since I'm hooked to this whole reading world full of adventures - and I'm 38 now ;)

What about you?

What was you very first SciFi/fantasy book you've ever read?

Mine was The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I was 24 at the time and had to stay at the hospital for 3 months. After a few weeks I was super bored and I wandered around and found a few books former patients had left in the lounge. One of them was said book and I stared reading it out of complete boredom. At the end I absolutely loved it and couldn't believe that I missed out so much for the past 24 years! My second attempt was the Eragon Trilogy. Ever since I'm hooked to this whole reading world full of adventures - and I'm 38 now ;)

What about you?
Firstly, welcome to the forum!

My story is kinda funny. I used to be addicted to videogames and anime binge-watching (still am, but today I have yet other vices), so my father dropped me at a bookstore and told me not to leave until I'd chosen a novel. So I went to the foreign literature section (because Brazilians don't read Brazilian books, obviously), and one caught my eye: Metro 2033, a Russian novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky. And the only reason why I recognised it was: there's a videogame based on it! :ROFLMAO: The game had just came out, so I was like, "There's a book?!" I bought it on the spot. Great novel btw.

The first one I bought to read was The Phantom Tollbooth. I was about 6 or 7 and received some money at Xmas. I was taken to the local bookshop and told to buy something [a bit like alexvss]. I loved the picture on the front [the big dog had a clock in his body - he was The Watch Dog] and then read the book. I still have it though I haven't read it in 30-40 years.

I'd read a lot as a child, Enid Blyton's Faraway tree etc, Mary Norton's The Borrowers, Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia and a lot of others.
Then around 12 I moved onto Supernatural, Horror, crime thrillers, westerns. In my 20's I picked up Feist's Magician and discovered a whole new world of entertainment.

syfy book? no idea reallly but probably robert heinlein

For me it was the Star Wars tie in books released after the success of Star Wars. Splinter in the Mind's Eye and the Han Solo Trilogy, which i really enjoyed. I read a lot of movie novelisations and 2010 was my first SF serious book. A family friend got me into SF proper by introducing me to Edmund Cooper.

Last edited:
The first SciFi/fantasy book that remember (not including comic books) was Star Wars in 1977.

Asimov's Foundation, it belonged to a cousin and there was a picture of a spaceship that looked like a huge steel mackrel in space -that was the hook ...good thread;)

Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man was the first one I remember reading on my own. My father used to make up science fiction stories at bedtime, which i realized, as I grew older and read more, they were just the stories that he had read.

Terrry Pratchett, Equal Rites

-or-

It might have been FutureTrack Five by Robert Westall, remember reading that in school way back in '93 or '94

Last edited:
Either The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, or The Magician's Nephew, chronologically the first, but can't remember which I read first.

SF... my memory is hazy but it was either Dune or Only You Can Save Mankind Terry Pratchett. Or, if it counts, a novelisation of The Phantom Menace... erm... yep. I don't feel the same way now but back in 1999 at age 11 that film was amazing.

Starman Jones by Robert Heinlein, from Toorak Library, Melbourne, on a hot day in 1976.

Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man was the first one I remember reading on my own. My father used to make up science fiction stories at bedtime, which i realized, as I grew older and read more, they were just the stories that he had read.
"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen..."

This question has been asked a few times.
As usual I have to stick with Eleanor Cameron's Mushroom planet series.
At age 6 or 7 the school was worried because I was still reading a lot of Dr. Seuss.
So I grudgingly picked out Eleanor Cameron's books.

That eventually led to Poul Andersons After Doomsday and Marion Zimmer Bradley's Colors of Space.
Then exploded into ERB Mars and Venus series and finally Heinlein's excellent space books.
Back in the '60s it was difficult to find them beyond the five and dime and drug stores that were a twenty minute bike ride away and it took a long time to accumulate them.

This question has been asked a few times.
As usual I have to stick with Eleanor Cameron's Mushroom planet series.
At age 6 or 7 the school was worried because I was still reading a lot of Dr. Seuss.
So I grudgingly picked out Eleanor Cameron's books.

That eventually led to Poul Andersons After Doomsday and Marion Zimmer Bradley's Colors of Space.
Then exploded into ERB Mars and Venus series and finally Heinlein's excellent space books.
Back in the '60s it was difficult to find them beyond the five and dime and drug stores that were a twenty minute bike ride away and it took a long time to accumulate them.
I am still reading Dr Suess.

Book? I think it was Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury or Animal Farm by George Orwell, for school. Didn't hate either, but didn't love either, either.

But I'm positive I read some short stories before these that would fit (or nearly so) in the horror category: "Kerfol" by Edith Wharton; "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell; "The Tell-Tale Heart" and maybe "The Fall of the House of Usher" by Poe; "Mr. Loveday's Little Outing" by Evelyn Waugh, and probably others I'm not thinking of.

In the mid 80's I got a set of Prince August metal casting miniatures in a local book store. In the box was a booklet produced by the company which had a scenario (like DnD) where it outlined an attack by orcs on the elves of Neldoreth. The images on the surrounding pages were the cast miniatures you could make yourself. At the end of the scenario was some encouragement to seek out your own inspirations in books like The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

I got the Lord of the Rings some time later and was hooked from then on. I was around 12 years old at the time I think.

I possibly read other books in school prior to that, that could be considered fantasy or science fiction but I don't remember them.

Back