7.01: Fear the Walking Dead - The Beacon

ctg

weaver of the unseen
sn62gC0.jpg

While most of the landscape is destroyed by nuclear warheads, Strand thrives in one of the few inhabitable places left. Strand's search for survivors uncovers a stranger with an unexpected connection to his past.

ctg

weaver of the unseen

I just leave this here. I cannot watch this without thinking the Fallout series. I also hope that we'll get to see the glowing ones.

771.jpg

ctg

weaver of the unseen
It is hard when you'll have to scavenge in the irritated dust cloud, hoping to find something to fill you growling stomach and all you can find is ten year old can of beaches and beans from a turned and burned zombie ... and half gnawed possum (without multiple heads).

Nukes they really ef up everything. In the space, we'll have to have at least a meter of water or something very heavy between us and the vacuum to prevent radiation. On ground it's usually shelters and then after years of sitting, scavenging in the wasteland and rebuilding the society.

It's just either aren't viable options when you're already in a limited supply and almost always, constantly harassed by the Dead. And the geezer in the van had already spent thirty days in a shelter that cannot keep outside of it the gamma-rays.

To be honest, that is a true fallout spirit, meaning you were effed when the blasts happened and you didn't made it to the shelter. In their universe, many "talking" ghoul background stories starts in similar tone, but instead of becoming walkers, they'll become intelligent Dead.

In the fantasy settings, it could be a background story for a modernised litch or a necromancer.

In our story, it's unlikely to happen, but I am intrigued by the possible transformation.

XyDrFD7.jpg

Scorched One. I know I said in the final piece that the Dead will survive, and so they have. In the FO universe, the Scorched Ones are horrifying figures. They're the ones that the radiation burned, but couldn't kill, making their skin charred and slightly tougher than normal fleshy ones. And they also share the undying love of radiation.

Getting scratched or splashed with their blood and they'll give you a dose of little death. Little by little you accumulate radiation and then later on when you've got enough, you'll turn and become part of the other team.

SZI6LnC.jpg

"My name is Victor Strand." I'm The Villain. I am the Kingpin of this effed up world, he should have added, before he asked, "Who the hell you might be?"

Man, he has not changed or he has, as he struggled in previous six seasons with his identity until he finally couldn't but to pull out the trump card and become a Kingpin. I don't think there is any other equally powerful people in the South and he still have nukes left in the sub.

To be honest, I liked his transformation in the real thing, including the costume of general. In the style wise he is on top of there with General Idi Amin Dada - nice on outside, fugly at inside. And just like Dada he believes that he has done a good thing by arriving on top of the world, in his mighty powered tower.

"I have everything I need in here, so why should I leave?" What about the radiation?

The explanation was that the fallout pattern blowed away from the location, allowing them to have a high-rise base, with visibility to all directions. Well done general. He clearly has used his intelligence to benefit himself, but why the obsession with Alicia?

The Warrior Princess will stab him first before she becomes his bride. That's my estimation.

J1H3qnh.jpg

I loved that Victor mocked Will and he totally believed in his glory, rather than allowing Will a satisfaction of getting right answers. He pulled all the facts, including Victor sacrificing all of his guards to save his ass.

What I don't get is why he tried to save Will from becoming one the dead? They had the conversation and Victor confessed that he was afraid of his own image. Yet, when Will gave up, he went and became the slayer general.

Will concluded that Victor wanted to save Alicia, except he didn't really think about what it entitles. He himself had fallen to Strand lies for three times. Every time he survived. So why is he trusting the man that cannot be trusted?

Is it because he's in love with Alicia? Did it make him an idiot?

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
I was ready for crying yesterday, couldn't find away to watch. All good now it's on prime.

I don't think Victor has gone all Negan, more channelling Roman cesears and with a little Napoleon thrown in.

I don't think he sees Alicia as his bride/queen more his daughter/niece. Strand is gay, Madison was his best friend probably the first person who cared for him. He thinks he can protect Alicia but really he needs her to protect him, same with Charlie for all his faults he does care for Alicia and Charlie.
He should be next on kill list; that was cold what he done to Will.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
I don't think he sees Alicia as his bride/queen more his daughter/niece. Strand is gay, Madison was his best friend probably the first person who cared for him.

It's hard to not think, when Victor was all googly eyed, almost stupid like you're when you're in love. It's also equally hard to think that there was nobody that cared for him, when in the past he had that relationship with his ex.

Madison certainly was there to keep him straight, but with Victor straight has never been straight. It always has bends, curves and back steps. And to be honest, I don't know how many times he has betrayed his friends and family. It's been loads and there shouldn't be a way for him to remain alive at the end of this season.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
I sincerely hope that this episode does not mean that FTWD has become the Victor Strand Show.
Stand has never been a likeable character, even without the megalomanian amplification. Dare I hope that going supervillain means Strand's time remaining on the show has grown short? Past "walker-proof" strongholds like Strand's tower have not fared well, and those were not announcing their location with a lighthouse beacon.
Tossing Will to the walkers was a shock. Possibly Strand was jealous that Will may have had a romantic relationship with Alicia, something he could not offer.

Reactions: ctg

Jeffbert

Rule #1: never stand too close to the despot /dictator / self-proclaimed leader. Recall Negan shoving that guy headfirst into the furnace? :unsure: Or the guy who wore the knit cap shoving the other guy into the campfire? FearTWD has its own version! :cool:

Personally, I like this Strand. He has given-up trying to be that which he has never been, and has embraced who he really is. I suppose that given the situation, there was little need for a villain. But, so long as he has all he needs, does he actually fit the description? Yet, it seems he really does care for Alicia, given he wants to discourage anyone coming to visit him, especially her.

On the other hand, Strand being a question mark did add some fun. Will he be a help or a hindrance?

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Recall Negan shoving that guy headfirst into the furnace?
Dwight? He is both in the comics and in the series, but in the series he ended in Fear.

Tossing Will to the walkers was a shock. Possibly Strand was jealous that Will may have had a romantic relationship with Alicia, something he could not offer.
Yes, it is strange for a man, who likes sausage. And for feeling jealous over a woman, whose not only younger, but who also has shown her mind is so strange. Alicia must be a trophy or she presents an enemy ... not that there's a lack of those at the moment.

Personally, I like this Strand. He has given-up trying to be that which he has never been, and has embraced who he really is.
I do like Strand, but what he has done to the group and for the world is unacceptable. Why should we forgive him?

Jeffbert

Dwight? He is both in the comics and in the series, but in the series he ended in Fear.

Yes, it is strange for a man, who likes sausage. And for feeling jealous over a woman, whose not only younger, but who also has shown her mind is so strange. Alicia must be a trophy or she presents an enemy ... not that there's a lack of those at the moment.

I do like Strand, but what he has done to the group and for the world is unacceptable. Why should we forgive him?
No, that was not Dwight. That guy went into the furnace. R.I.P. Dwight was merely branded on his face. Negan was apparently going to brand that other guy, but decided to shove him into the furnace instead. It came as a surprise to everybody! RULE #1 can save your life.

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
No, that was not Dwight. That guy went into the furnace. R.I.P. Dwight was merely branded on his face. Negan was apparently going to brand that other guy, but decided to shove him into the furnace instead. It came as a surprise to everybody! RULE #1 can save your life.
I remember it.
Went back and checked in case my memory was faulty, season 7 episode 11, it was a doctor something to do with Negan's wives.
After reading through some of the old threads. Once they get back to Alexandria, Maggie should off Negan.

Last edited:

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Alicia Clark (Alycia Debnam-Carey) isn't the only one missing from Fear the Walking Dead. Maggie Grace, a series regular who has played Althea since Season 4 of Fear, is removed from the opening credits of Sunday's Season 7 premiere "The Beacon" and Episode 702 "Six Hours" (streaming early on AMC+). We last saw Al leaving Morgan's (Lennie James) dam community in Season 6 Episode 11, "The Holding," setting off to find and warn CRM soldier Isabelle (Sydney Lemmon) about Teddy (John Glover) and his nuclear warheads. But now the LOST alum is, well, lost for now — Grace's name no longer appears as part of the credited cast of Season 7.

It's unusual for any Walking Dead show to remove the name of an actor whose character hasn't died or otherwise exited the series.

But it's not unprecedented: some Season 6 episodes of The Walking Dead removed Steven Yeun's name from the credits for the first time since the pilot when his character, Glenn Rhee, appeared to be killed by walkers. (Yeun's name returned after a later episode revealed Glenn survived by scurrying to safety under a dumpster. After Glenn's death in the Season 7 premiere, Yeun's credit was removed for good in Season 7 Episode 2.)

Grace makes a voice cameo over walkie-talkie in Fear's Season 6 finale, "The Beginning," when it's revealed Al called for the Civic Republic Military helicopter that rescues a group of her friends from Teddy's bombs. The finale was among the episodes filmed after the COVID-19 pandemic shut down filming for several months in 2020, not wrapping until March of this year.

The reason?

In October 2020, Grace announced the birth of her first child with husband Brent Bushnell on Instagram. Filming on Season 7 has been underway since April in Texas under four-season showrunners Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg, again taking an anthology-style approach with a handful of characters appearing per episode.

Grace's absence from the credits could be because of secrecy surrounding Al's storyline involving the shadowy CRM, a dangerous conspiracy she's been investigating since Season 5. Like Yeun, removing Grace's name could disguise whether Al will return after disappearing last season.

Here's my speculation, since season 5 we have seen the actors struggling with the content and some of them opting out instead of staying in. We know from viewer perspective that season 4 and 5 felt a bit lost and the characters were wandering aimlessly. We know from Morgan and John's deaths that they were arrenged, and then Lenny James switched his mind. I assume Grace also wanted to have some family time instead of shooting at the location.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
"Ultimately, that's why he makes the decision not to bring Alicia to the tower. And in fact, to do something, to take this terrible action of killing Will, that will ensure that Alicia wants nothing to do with him," Goldberg said. "That's sort of Strand's Darth Vader moment, where he chooses to cut off this connection in his heart for the sake of his power and for the sake of protecting what he's built."

Strand has "become what he always wanted to be," but is left atop The Tower "wondering just what it cost him," added Chambliss. "It may, in fact, have cost him the person he cares about most and, as we see him standing up there kind of having all the dead walkers come towards the tower, it's kind of a metaphor for who he is - someone who's driven all the living people away from him and is now just kind of surrounded by death and destruction."

Ah, well that makes it clear. Victor Strand is the villain for this season.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I don't think he sees Alicia as his bride/queen more his daughter/niece.
That's how I saw it too. Strand has always been a loner. He never wanted them to be on his ship. He'd previously left his lover to be alone. I'm not sure why he sacrificed his guards to try to find Alicia, but he isn't very stable in his thinking. It is strange that he has now become exactly the kind demagogue that we have seen our other characters fight against in the past.
Ah, well that makes it clear. Victor Strand is the villain for this season.
Well, there can't be all that many villains left to fight anymore. There can't be that many people left alive at all.

Reactions: ctg

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
The significance of surviving groups in the other two shows has dwindled immensely.
Is the nuclear blasts of multiple payloads not a significant event though? That was what I meant really, although the number of still living appears to have generally dwindled anyway. I appreciate there is all kinds of other stuff happening with the films that we have yet to learn about, but most of the south west of the USA must now be uninhabitable.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
That was what I meant really, although the number of still living appears to have generally dwindled anyway. I appreciate there is all kinds of other stuff happening with the films that we have yet to learn about, but most of the south west of the USA must now be uninhabitable.

Oh Dave, you're mostly right. A lot of survivors perished, but seemingly there's still a large number of them alive. Some of them embracing the fallout as if it's a gift. That's all I say about that for now.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Is the nuclear blasts of multiple payloads not a significant event though? That was what I meant really, although the number of still living appears to have generally dwindled anyway. I appreciate there is all kinds of other stuff happening with the films that we have yet to learn about, but most of the south west of the USA must now be uninhabitable.
I don't know if we've been given a number of victims in Crazy Ted's nuclear attack, but a surviving population of more than 100,000 was taken out in the first episode of World Beyond's second season.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Sorry to side-track the thread, but do I need to watch World Beyond to understand everything going on? I got a little sick of this universe last year. However, last season's TWD was quite good in the end, and I'm enjoying this season's FTWD. Not sure how much more 'Walking Dead' I can take though. I also thought World Beyond was going to be teenage angst, but if you recommend it, then I'll give it a go.