The Metaverse is coming...apparently

I was intrigued by the article until I saw Facebook was involved. This makes me immediately suspicious that the metaverse will simply become another device to harvest personal data and, perhaps through studying avatar behaviour, become a deeper method of melding data with behaviour and habits. Imagine how marketing companies could use this knowledge in targeting while the user innocently goes about his/her way oblivious to how much personal information they are revealing.

If Facebook is in then, as they say in Dragon’s Den, I’m out.

I have only two words to share with you. JUDGEMENT DAY. ;) Oh, and SKYNET.

Having read this I wonder if they will force you to have a personal Facebook account to access it?
Someone who knows more about AR/VR/XR [call it what you will] says that the Facebook VR is great but you have to use it with a personal Facebook account. so it is no use to researchers, academics or business.

I have only two words to share with you. JUDGEMENT DAY. ;) Oh, and SKYNET.

I have vision of mankind being used as batters to power a matrix like machine entity.

It seems to me that Abraham Merritt foresaw something like this in his novel The Moon Pool .:(

Put me down as a cynic. I do not see people in the general population, one, being willing to wear headsets, and, two, being willing to use body movements to control a display rather than just sitting on a couch.

Some of the various forms of virtual realty that have opened to hype and then disappeared from the general population's eye include: Second Life, Google Glass, WII, and Pokemon Go. I think we are still a long way from the video gamer slums of Ready Player One.

Put me down as a cynic. I do not see people in the general population, one, being willing to wear headsets, and, two, being willing to use body movements to control a display rather than just sitting on a couch.
I know nothing about either thing but it seems convenient to roll out a big jobs announcement in the middle of a pile of antitrust complaints and general bad press -am sure the spongulate hydrogekating of the finglefongleverse needs to happen directively, so it must be important;)

Facebook's (and any other technopoly's) metaverse looks like just another attempt to control what people think and do, and further "Automate the People", seems to be the consensus majority view, and my opinion too.

I’m going slightly mad

But fear not ! The Metaverse , like the Mighty Peking Man will rise from the ashes with bigger and , with better surround sound quality sound and superior graphics and superior immersive gameplay v and it will have an offline mode for those who don't wish to participate on online Metaverse activities . Yes , it will be the dawn of the new and improved Metaverse ! :D