(Found) Finding old SF stories - is there a searchable index?

Just Tom

New here. Greetings! Recently I've been trying to find some old SF stories which I read in anthologies as a kid. These were all classics, mostly from '30s and '40s. I do not recall the authors nor titles, nor even the names of some of the anthologies. Are there any searchable indexes of such stories which feature thematic or major conceptual keywords? (Someone here might well have no need for a search aid.) One in particular featured a youth who discovered a dimensional portal at the edge of a seaside cliff (if my memory serves me) and finally summons the courage to descend into it, where he finds himself scrutinized by a cyclopean giant. When he hauls himself back he finds the chirality of his body has been reversed. I found the recent-past setting and antiquarian yet familiar style and feel of this story both charming and a little haunting. Thanks for any help.

Edit- Just noticed the Book Search section and realized that this might have been more appropriately posted there but given the age of the story/anthology perhaps this is the place.

Last edited:
There isn't an index that is exactly as you describe but there are some links and suggestions in this thread: Book Search Resources

Any further links or suggestions that could be added would be welcome.

As for your specific story query, I have no idea, but the incredibly knowledgeable people here probably will.
Thanks. The resources you shared will be very helpful. I'm looking forward doing some research!

Following psychotick's suggestion I looked for Lovecraft stories that might match the query, came across this description of "The Trap"

The full text of the story is helpfully linked in the article above:

There's a portal and chirality reversal but no cliff or giant.

Hi,

Just remembered there's a name that book thread on Goodreads. It covers more than sci fi / fantasy,and I don't know how searchable it is, but it's big.

Cheers, Greg.

Good place to start:
11FCF6E2-3E7A-4431-8790-1AC5FDF2CD16.jpeg
80C2ED13-B2B7-40DE-9047-AE7A61711985.jpeg

For stories that feature mathematical ideas, you can frequently find mention of them at Alex Kasman's MathFiction site.

For the most notable examples of a given theme, you can often find something in the SF Encyclopedia.

For examples of particular invention ideas, you can sometimes find something at the Technovelgy site.

Although it involves sifting through a lot of noise, you will occasionally run across examples of similar stories organized by tropes at tvtropes.org.

For stories that feature mathematical ideas, you can frequently find mention of them at Alex Kasman's MathFiction site.

For the most notable examples of a given theme, you can often find something in the SF Encyclopedia.

For examples of particular invention ideas, you can sometimes find something at the Technovelgy site.

Although it involves sifting through a lot of noise, you will occasionally run across examples of similar stories organized by tropes at tvtropes.org.
Thanks! Found it on the mathematical fiction site: "The Land of No Shadow" by Carl H. Claudy. I read it in the anthology cited there, "The Year After Tomorrow," which features other stories by the author. Read it as a pre-teen and memory was off. The explorer found himself on a beach after entering a portal generated by a scientist's device. I have not re-read it yet, but I think there was no cyclops but rather a giant face with cat's eyes. Not sure about that because there were several weird beings the protagonist encountered. Sorry if I threw anyone off. I was trying to remember the illustrations.

Great resources! Thanks.