'Ant' find this film!

Bren G

Supporter
I’ve been trying to remember a film I saw as a kid. The only scene I recall was a small group of soldiers in the US desert had to sneak underground into an ant colony. The ants were huge. They entered a chamber of sleeping ants and I think they had to place explosives very silently else they’d wake up. I recall it was very hard to do so and there was a lot of tension in the act. Now, I had watched ‘THEM’ a number of years back, and then I recall being disappointed that it wasn’t the one.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

I don't recall too many giant ant movies, apart from Them, I'm afraid. I'll watch this space.

I don't recall too many giant ant movies, apart from Them, I'm afraid. I'll watch this space.

The only other giant ant film I can recall is Empire of the Ants 1977. I don't recall any such scene in that film.

Probably not it, yet:
Phase IV (1974)--matches US desert, though are scientists not soldiers. One character does go in the chambers, though for different reasons. Another character uses explosives. Ants look giant from close ups.

I’ve been trying to remember a film I saw as a kid. The only scene I recall was a small group of soldiers in the US desert had to sneak underground into an ant colony. The ants were huge. They entered a chamber of sleeping ants and I think they had to place explosives very silently else they’d wake up. I recall it was very hard to do so and there was a lot of tension in the act. Now, I had watched ‘THEM’ a number of years back, and then I recall being disappointed that it wasn’t the one.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

'As a kid' is how long ago? If you were a kid in the 60s it would help eliminate any later films.

You're not possibly mixing this up with Night of the Lepus. Ants wouldn't normally be sleeping, but monstrous killer bunnies might.

I saw Them when I was young. Thought there was another movie--however, I had a recurring dream for quite a while with ants that were the size of small children--maybe you tapped into my dream. The point though is because of my dream I'll probably be no help.

Have you tried: Giant Killer Ants. I haven't seen it myself but as I said before, giant ant movies are rare these days.

Thanks for your help folks. I was able to skim through Lepers and to some extent Phase IV. Neither appear to be it. I recall it as black n white but I cannot be sure. It definitely was before 1980. Perhaps my memory is failing as I was quite young, but it's quite vivid since my brother and I replicated the scene shortly thereafter. We had skipped from chair to couch with the express need not to touch the floor lest we be discovered. We then raised and removed the glass chimneys from my mother's prized lamps knowing full well the dire implications if our father caught us. So, while I may have some facts wrong, I am sure its not a total fabrication!

On a slight aside, anyone interested in giant ant movies should check out 'It Came From The Desert' on the Amiga, which was a truly awesome game very much in the mode of these type of B movies.

Thanks for your help folks. I was able to skim through Lepers and to some extent Phase IV. Neither appear to be it. I recall it as black n white but I cannot be sure. It definitely was before 1980. Perhaps my memory is failing as I was quite young, but it's quite vivid since my brother and I replicated the scene shortly thereafter. We had skipped from chair to couch with the express need not to touch the floor lest we be discovered. We then raised and removed the glass chimneys from my mother's prized lamps knowing full well the dire implications if our father caught us. So, while I may have some facts wrong, I am sure its not a total fabrication!

It has to film Them. it's the closest match of the Ant films we know about.

It has to film Them. it's the closest match of the Ant films we know about.
I just watched THEM just now. Not it unfortunately. Though it was cool to see bazooka's and flamethrowers in action :)

Are you sure it was Ants? I know my memory has a way of playing tricks o_O

Imdb has this list of 'Giant insect' films, one of which might be the one you seek
Thanks @M. Robert Gibson - that is a cool search tool. You've ensured my weekend will be most unproductive :censored: ..You might be right. It might be another creature I suppose.

Well, Bren, you know what they say. If you've seen one giant ant you've seen 'em all. ;)

Back