Did you guys watch Bright?

Deke

So I was screwing around on YouTube and the gunfight from Bright came up, the one where Will Smith guns up all his cop buddies. Great scene, but it made me think, where the hell did that movie come from?

Hollywood has like, zero interest it seems these days in coming up with original plots, and I thought that movie was so cool and under appreciated. I am a bit of a rube, but still, thought it was well done.

Anyone else remember it well enough to comment? Like? Dislike?

I found myself on the fence with this one. A conceptually great idea, but as you said, not particularly inspired. It was alright but not enough to see it a second time. Some good elements aren't enough to elevate it to cult status. IMHO.

I saw it a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would. Could have been set in the same universe as Del Toro's Hell Boy.

Not a bad film, but a think it was a 'for Netflix' movie so they could take a few more risks than if it had a theatrical release. Very much in the vein of cop buddy movies, with the 2 cops being opposites in some ways. Been done loads of times, I guess the closest would be Alien Nation, and perhaps the theme was to cash in on the 'Warcraft', seeing as that film had done so well at the box office.

Not a bad movie , but not one I would be rushing to go back and watch again.

Similar story. It starred James Khan. In the near future, alien refugees arrive on Earth and begin the process of assimilation into our culture. James Khan is partnered against his will with an alien partner (played by Mandy Patankin). It was pretty good and well worth checking out.

Last edited:
Existing thread on Bright here: Bright (2017) [Will Smith | Netflix]
Yes, I watched it and I liked it.

Existing threads on Alien Nation film here: Alien Nation (1988)
and TV series here: Blast from the Past: Alien Nation
I have both the film and series on DVD

I think Bright was a little different to Alien Nation. The big difference in Bright is it's treatment of "magic" in an urban, modern-day environment, pitched at an adult audience. I still can't understand why there are not more films of this type,

Back