The Expanse Season 6

orodromeus

Teaser trailer:

6 episodes, weekly from Dec-10! Will this really be the final season?...

Reactions: New
I believe this season takes the story until the end of book six, where there is a natural break in the story. The last three books in some ways is a different story arc set some 30 years after. So it makes sense to finish the current overall story arc now.

For information book nine, the last in the series, is due for publication the end of November.

I am underwhelmed by the trailer. It looks like almost all talk and almost no action.

It's here … and we almost wish it wasn't. The sixth and final season of "The Expanse" is currently showing on Amazon Prime Video.

So, sit back, strap in, get comfortable in your crash couch, disengage the docking clamp, fire thrusters, engage the Epstein drive and ready "the juice" ... this is the awesome, high-octane, action-packed concluding season of one of the best science fiction dramas ever written for television.

This final season picks up with the solar system at war, as Marco Inaros (Keon Alexander) continues to launch devastating asteroid attacks on Earth and Mars. As the tensions of war and shared loss threaten to pull the crew of the Rocinante apart, Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo) makes a bold move and sends former Martian Marine Bobbie Draper (Frankie Adams) on a secret mission that could turn the tide of the conflict. Meanwhile, in the Belt, Drummer (Cara Gee) and what’s left of her family are on the run after betraying Marco. And on a distant planet beyond the Rings, a new power begins to rise.

I've watched the first 2 episodes and this is better than I expected. But I am frustrated that I don't know (maybe it was never said?) how much time has passed between season 5 and 6. Given the development of the war and the extra-terrestrial colonies I would say at least 10 years has to have passed. The colonies are settled long enough for children to be calling it home. The belters have an extensive plan of battle that has been carefully constructed, implemented and is driving earth to its knees. But the political situation feels like months or at most a year or two. Something is out of whack for me.

Just finished Episode 3 and and I am not having it. Holden's decision making is tantamount to treason here. Don't want to spoil anything. Dreadful.

Holden's decision was just stupid - if the detective would still come out to him and say there were reasons - but no ...
Holden is a cuck.

I like expanse, I still consider it one of the better Sci-Fi series - but I'm disappointed. Season 6 explains virtually nothing (including ignorance of the rings and what's behind them)

Holden's decision was just stupid - if the detective would still come out to him and say there were reasons - but no ...
Holden is a cuck.

I like expanse, I still consider it one of the better Sci-Fi series - but I'm disappointed. Season 6 explains virtually nothing (including ignorance of the rings and what's behind them)

What's worse is the reason Holden gives in the next episode. Inaros is responsible for the deaths of millions on Earth. If I am Amos I am relieving Holden of command.

What's worse is the reason Holden gives in the next episode. Inaros is responsible for the deaths of millions on Earth. If I am Amos I am relieving Holden of command.
It was obvious what Holden's motive was. Love makes us do stupid stuff. But I suspect that his decision will be the lever which turns the entire story on its ear.

It was obvious what Holden's motive was. Love makes us do stupid stuff. But I suspect that his decision will be the lever which turns the entire story on its ear.

I get the reason why. I just think it is poor storytelling. I would imagine that the reckoning with Inaros and Philip will involve Naomi at some stage.

I get the reason why. I just think it is poor storytelling. I would imagine that the reckoning with Inaros and Philip will involve Naomi at some stage.

I disagree.

Given the characters history, as his short lived service in the UNN ended after he punched out a superior officer and he never had a command, making a purely emotional decision is quite in line with what we'd expect. In real life, making a command decision on the fly in a combat situation, that will result in the deaths of a lot of people, even the enemy, isn't as easy as one might think.

Holden has been unstable. He's also the product of 8 parents and has long made bad decisions next to brilliant ones.

Poor story telling? No, I think it's quite the opposite. It shows he shouldn't command the Rocinante. There's a lot of drama that can ensue from this.

It shows he shouldn't command the Rocinante.
I agree with this, but it's hard for me. I want desperately for people to make choices that save and not cost human lives. I think the equation given that Inaros has killed 10's of thousands and would gladly kill more, it was an awful choice, but I sure would have liked it if he could have found a third way.

I binge watched season 6 thus far and I'm really put off by the monotonous regularity with which characters casually bare their hearts to all and sundry - strangers, subordinates, whoever. It's completely unrealistic and lazy storytelling. A character shows what he is by what he does - humans naturally try to conceal or at least play down their inner workings to those around them, revealing them in indirect ways. The scriptwriter(s) need to respect psychology and get creative.

And yes, in the real world Holden would have killed Inaros without hesitation. In the movie it looks like clumsy attempt to create human drama amongst the characters. If you want to save the scene then let Naomi see that her son is with Inaros and plead with Holden to spare him (her maternal instinct momentarily overcoming her common sense). Holden hesitates and disarms the torpedo. Both then have to deal with having made the wrong decision. Just think of all the glorious inner torment you could milk from that scenario.

Last edited:
I binge watched season 6 thus far and I'm really put off by the monotonous regularity with which characters casually bare their hearts to all and sundry - strangers, subordinates, whoever. It's completely unrealistic and lazy storytelling. A character shows what he is by what he does - humans naturally try to conceal or at least play down their inner workings to those around them, revealing them in indirect ways. The scriptwriter(s) need to respect psychology and get creative.
I've been streaming Star Trek Discovery and the amount of baring your inner feelings there dwarfs The Expanse by orders of magnitude. (And even more aggravatingly, in some situations they only have minutes to save lives or once, all of sentient life in the Federation, yet, they use those precious minutes to talk about how you feel about someone.)

All I can say that in the book it is handled better. The space battles are long drawn out affairs due to distance, so the strain of them grinds people down. Inaros keeps sending messages to Holden and his crew, baiting them. Sometimes Holden replies, some times not, and Inaros keeps showing him pictures of Philip. The decision once made is regretted, but is in keeping with Holden's mindset, right down to his final one in the last book. Though the last lines of the final book belong to Amos.

I am enjoying the series overall but agree that it's not executed well. There are so many counts of lazy or clumsy storytelling that I have to mentally switch off my critical side to prevent myself from switching off the TV.

Anything can be explained as authentic behaviour but the characters and circumstances have to make you believe it. Too many times I don't.

It is only 6 episodes. Why didn't they go for the normal 10. If feels like they are forcing the narrative.