October 2021 Reading Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
September was a goodish month for reading for me, as I got through The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney (excellent), The Witness for the Dead by Katherine Addison (all the faults of its predecessor, The Goblin Emperor, and none of its page-turning readability) and Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa (a YA bought in error, which was very YA...).

I've just finished Wool by Hugh Howey -- very cleverly written if somewhat on the long side, with a good mix of science/technology and humanity -- and I'm now a few pages into Stardust by Neil Gaiman, which has the advantage of being very short.

What are you reading this month?

I've just started rereading Lord of the rings as I haven't read it for awhile and in January a friend is running a lotr PBeM campaign and I want to brush up on my knowledge.

I've just finished Wool by Hugh Howey -- very cleverly written if somewhat on the long side, with a good mix of science/technology and humanity -- and I'm now a few pages into Stardust by Neil Gaiman, which has the advantage of being very short.

Ooh, I'm toying with the idea of inviting Hugh Howey as a guest for the podcast; his is such an interesting story. I doubt we'll get him (at least, not for a while) but he would be great. Wool is on my TBR pile.

Still reading The Subtle Knife...

Crazy September. Read 21 books after a long, long while without touching a novel.

Started with "A Brightness Long Ago" by Guy Gavriel Kay, then the first 3 books of "Black Company" by Glen Cook, then the 14 Garrett PI by Cook, and ended yesterday with the "Ancestor" trilogy by Mark Lawrence.

Think I'll have a more subdued October. Seem to have a little reading fatigue for some reason.

Just finished The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin - it was...interesting. I want to finish the series, but need to take a break from astrophysics for a while :)

I am currently reading Skyward by Brandon Sanderson, and Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (no, I have never read the series).

I am trying a new thing where I am reading something fairly recent, mixed with classics that I have always wanted to read. It is fun to move back and forth and experience the different writing styles.

Ooh, I'm toying with the idea of inviting Hugh Howey as a guest for the podcast; his is such an interesting story. I doubt we'll get him (at least, not for a while) but he would be great.
I don't know if he's answered it before because I'm too lazy to go looking, but if he hasn't, make sure you ask him why he called it "Wool". The cleaners have a kind of wool cloth, and I suppose the inhabitants have the wool pulled over their eyes, but I still don't really get it as a title.

Somebody mentioned Vernor Vinge’s A Fire Upon The Deep a couple of months ago. I’ve never read any Vinge so I bought a copy of this novel and that’s what I’m currently reading.

Crazy September. Read 21 books after a long, long while without touching a novel.

Started with "A Brightness Long Ago" by Guy Gavriel Kay, then the first 3 books of "Black Company" by Glen Cook, then the 14 Garrett PI by Cook, and ended yesterday with the "Ancestor" trilogy by Mark Lawrence.

Think I'll have a more subdued October. Seem to have a little reading fatigue for some reason.
21? That's more than I've read since January!

I'm a few stories into The Women of Weird Tales, which are enjoyable pulp stories from the 1920s and '30s. Also reading Monster, She Wrote by Lisa Kroger and Melanie Anderson.

Happy October!

I don't know if he's answered it before because I'm too lazy to go looking, but if he hasn't, make sure you ask him why he called it "Wool". The cleaners have a kind of wool cloth, and I suppose the inhabitants have the wool pulled over their eyes, but I still don't really get it as a title.
I saw it online once but I can't think where - it's something to do with World Order xforgottenx L (with the L being Latin for 50)

I bought Game of Thrones (the #1) for Nook this morning. Watched all the shows of the series once, but never read the books. Just by reading the prologue, I can tell why this is considered one of the greatest stories.

The devil's nebula by Eric Brown (2012)

interesting so far, Humanity and their evil alien Vetch enemy learn of a much bigger and badder alien threat - will they unite?

Also a running plot about a small starship and their 'likeable rogue' crew

Last edited:
The devil's nebula by Eric Brown (2012)

interesting so far, Humanity and their evil alien Vetch enemy learn of a much bigger and badder alien threat - will they unite?

Also a running plot about a small starship and their 'likeable rogue' crew
i sell new ideas if anyone is interested. :) good grief. i will even avoid giant ants

September was a goodish month for reading for me, as I got through The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney (excellent), The Witness for the Dead by Katherine Addison (all the faults of its predecessor, The Goblin Emperor, and none of its page-turning readability) and Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa (a YA bought in error, which was very YA...).

What are you readin
I liked both Wool and Stardust

Status
Not open for further replies.