October 2021 Reading Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mixed bag of recent reads. Two good followed by two poor:
Sunborn by Jeffrey A Carver - I'm really enjoying this series which, for me, gets better with each volume. More here.
Blades of Antioch by S J A Turner - Another very good well researched volume in this Roman series. More here.
Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve - too juvenile and too fantasy biased for me, though I acknowledge it's well written. More here.
Into the Fire by Elizabeth Moon - started well but fell apart half way through. More here.

Sunborn by Jeffrey A Carver - I'm really enjoying this series which, for me, gets better with each volume. More here.
I was interested to read your review of this. I really enjoyed Neptune Crossing, and need to source the second. eBay may be my friend I guess, as I’m not sure it’s in print currently.

Edit: I see they are all back in print, but as quite pricey trade pb’s. I found an older mass market pb copy of Strange Attractors online, so ordered that.

Last edited:
I was interested to read your review of this. I really enjoyed Neptune Crossing, and need to source the second. eBay may be my friend I guess, as I’m not sure it’s in print currently.

Edit: I see they are all back in print, but as quite pricey trade pb’s. I found an older mass market pb copy of Strange Attractors online, so ordered that.
I think the second is possibly a little weaker than the first though that is probably mainly down to it's unexpected difference from it. The first book is largely a fairly straightforward first contact story with some interesting kinks. Strange Attractors becomes significantly more weird with echoes of John Varley's Gaea Books mixed with Greg Bear's Eon. However by the end of that book the whole premise of the series becomes much more concrete and expansive moving everything onto a much larger galactic sized canvas. It definitely took me a little longer to get into but once I had a handle on it my enjoyment increased steadily.

Last edited:

I bought the ebook editions which are quite reasonable and readily available so I never noticed the problem with paper copies!

Never knew this existed. Is this a paper book or e-book?
Ebook, It's a dozen of his short stories

content.jpeg

The Best of Philip E. High

Welcome to the Bizarre Imagination of Philip E. High.

-A world without laws where the basest criminal activity flourishes unchecked in a dog-eat-dog society;
-When the crew of a submarine find themselves flung millions of years into the past the consequences are devastating;
-The minds of the entire population of a city are infected by the thoughts of a madman, and become insane themselves - and the contagion is spreading;
-Mankind is facing extinction by an alien race of mind-readers who can anticipate man's every counter attack.

Here is the first-ever collection of the greatest short stories of one of Britain's finest-ever SF writers - Philip E. High! Already well know on both sides of the Atlantic as a writer of many exciting adventure novels, these twelve stories reveal High as a true literary craftsman. A major science fiction event that is not to be missed!

Synopsis​

Twelve of legendary British science fiction master Philip E. High's finest short stories, from magazines such as New Worlds and Nebula, collected for the first time. Selected, edited, and introduced by Philip Harbottle. A terrific collection, sure to please readers interested in British style SF!

Last edited:
Hmm I had to google him, a 19th century English writer. What is a good example of his work?
honestly i read them im portuguese so... try the grand impersonation. you can try the writer ss van dyne also

I am about to start Who Did It First? Great Rock and Roll Cover Songs and Their Original Artists (2014) by Bob Leszczak. The author has similar volumes about Rhythm and Blues and Pop. Should be just what the title implies.

Hmm not a police procedural at all, its a spy novel. But I'd give it a go if I encountered it
he was a lot that stand between police and spy books. ss van dine is more holmesian but they are both great writers. try leslie charteris and the campion books also. you always have maurice leblanc and arséne lupin

he was a lot that stand between police and spy books. ss van dine is more holmesian but they are both great writers. try leslie charteris and the campion books also. you always have maurice leblanc and arséne lupin
You only author I've heard of is Charteris, who created The Saint

You only author I've heard of is Charteris, who created The Saint
trust me there's lots of good writers out there, some of them a bit older lol you do know mike hammer right? by the way there's a netflix series of a new arsene lupin which is quite good

Just started Conspiracy, the fourth book in the Emperor's Edge series, by Lindsay Buroker. A nice feeling, returning to a familiar series. Only just started, but it's already set up a couple of potential major storylines. Very relaxing and easy to read, with a nice dash of comedy and a little tension too.

Status
Not open for further replies.