October 2021 Reading Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you want to see, for me, so far, the best possible utopia it's this one:
voyage of yesteryear by james p hogan
That was indeed a very hopeful and interesting story. I loved it. Although Semiosis tells a vastly different story it is at its root very hopeful.

Here's my Amazon Review:

Semiosis by Sue Burke is an excellent story. It follows a colony of humans fleeing the impending climate catastrophe on earth after they travel to a new world which the call Pax. The story follows the first 100 years during which they attempt to have a human society which avoids its most apparent flaws. It follows the colonists by telling the most pertinent story of that generation of humans. Along with all of the troubles you might expect in a society where humans are trying to correct their mistakes they also have to struggle with the vegetation which seems a lot smarter than it should be. This is clearly a Science Fantasy, but especially the biological aspects are intriguing developments from the latest plant science.

Although this is book one of two and I loved it. I don't think I'll read the second any time soon. This story is completely self-contained and there is no need for a sequel. I worry I might hate the next one.

5 Stars .... Recommended.

A true first Chilton edition will go for a lot more I think. I have a later printing of the first edition and it was nowhere near $250. I'm currently on the shop for the Berkley trade editions of Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune. I have the last three but these ones can be tough to track down at reasonable prices.
Sounds good. I think the Chilton Dune's can go for north of $400 for first printings but it depends on condition. I've seen crappy ones for less than $100. I'd be happy with a later printing of the same edition, which would still be a 1965 and expensive, but you only live once. The US first editions of the Dune series books are:

1634847353569.png

I have found and ordered first editions of books 3 and 4 in fine condition and they are winging their way to me. Purchase of Dune Messiah is in the works, but can be quite pricey. The final two books have two first editions, really, as the British Gollancz editions were printed at the same time (if anything a few weeks before) as the US Putnums, so if you have either of these British books, you till have "first editions" I think:

1634847599139.png

Sounds good. I think the Chilton Dune's can go for north of $400 for first printings but it depends on condition. I've seen crappy ones for less than $100. I'd be happy with a later printing of the same edition, which would still be a 1965 and expensive, but you only live once. The US first editions of the Dune series books are:

View attachment 83144

I have found and ordered first editions of books 3 and 4 in fine condition and they are winging their way to me. Purchase of Dune Messiah is in the works, but can be quite pricey. The final two books have two first editions, really, as the British Gollancz editions were printed at the same time (if anything a few weeks before) as the US Putnums, so if you have either of these British books, you till have "first editions" I think:

View attachment 83145
Maybe you'll get lucky and you'll find a signed copy for the price of chips.

But back to what I'm actually reading presently -
I finished The Naked Sun by Asimov (t'riffic), and I've now moved directly on to The Robots of Dawn, in which Elijah goes to Aurora, reacquaints himself with Gladia and Han Fastolfe and the robot Giskard first appears.

Maybe you'll get lucky and you'll find a signed copy for the price of chips.
Wouldn't that be great. The only way of obtaining a cheap copy would be from a charity shop I'm thinking, or possibly a used book store where they didn't know its value, but I've never seen one to date. I'll let you know if I do ever spring for one, Vince.

Incidentally, I see that Ian Sales (author and erstwhile regular member of this forum) went on a Dune book collection bender himself, and wrote about it in his blog. Interesting stuff.

EDIT: Done some more research, and the genuine Chilton first edition of Dune had blue cloth boards, and had a small run - it can easily cost thousands of dollars for a fine or near fine copy The same 'edition' (i.e. Chilton, 1965, same artwork, etc.) was printed as a first edition for the SF book club, with a much larger run, and had red cloth boards. These are still hundreds of dollars, and ISFDB does not distinguish them, but labels them as the same edition, as it happens. The latter are what are usually to be found online and are what are bought by most collectors. (Indeed, I'd be happy with a book club copy of the 'first edition'). The book club version is also slightly smaller - i.e. its standard HB size, whereas I think the Chilton genuine first edition was a little 'oversized'.

Last edited:

View attachment 83144

View attachment 83145
i have chilton putnum and berkley but i have no idea of editions

You might want to check the Dune edition then - if its a blue cloth board hardback first edition in near mint condition, it's worth a large amount of money.
at least i think i do... i bought 2 sets of dune books some years ago and gave one to my girlfriend.. i'm more interested in the story so i generally don't care for editions... and what is a lot of money? mind you i probably wouldn't sell anyway but i'm curious... and sell where? ebay? and it does not has a dustjacket so...

Last edited:
at least i think i do... i bought 2 sets of dune books some years ago and gave one to my girlfriend.. i'm more interested in the story so i generally don't care for editions... and what is a lot of money? mind you i probably wouldn't sell anyway but i'm curious... and sell where? ebay? and it does not has a dustjacket so...
Lacking a dustjacket will make it much less valuable I'm afraid.

In fine condition, a HB first edition Chilton with the blue boards might set you back $10,000, and there are none on eBay currently.
This signed one is more expensive:

1634856419881.png

A fine condition book club Chilton (same appearance and claiming to be a first edition, but with the red boards) tends to be about $300-$500. There are several on eBay, e.g.:

1634856330579.png

That was indeed a very hopeful and interesting story. I loved it. Although Semiosis tells a vastly different story it is at its root very hopeful.

Here's my Amazon Review:

Semiosis by Sue Burke is an excellent story. It follows a colony of humans fleeing the impending climate catastrophe on earth after they travel to a new world which the call Pax. The story follows the first 100 years during which they attempt to have a human society which avoids its most apparent flaws. It follows the colonists by telling the most pertinent story of that generation of humans. Along with all of the troubles you might expect in a society where humans are trying to correct their mistakes they also have to struggle with the vegetation which seems a lot smarter than it should be. This is clearly a Science Fantasy, but especially the biological aspects are intriguing developments from the latest plant science.

Although this is book one of two and I loved it. I don't think I'll read the second any time soon. This story is completely self-contained and there is no need for a sequel. I worry I might hate the next one.

5 Stars .... Recommended.
I'm really glad you liked it! I was quite uncomfortable with how the second book started as it began on Earth and I wanted to be back on Pax, but actually all the action shifts back to Pax quite quickly and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. I think it matches up to the first book although it inevitably lacks that sense of discovery the reader feels as we gradually come to understand the Pax environment. I do recommend it. There will be a third coming and from the (very good) ending of the second book I'm a little concerned where that third one might go but I will be buying it when it comes out. Worth noting, I think, that these are Sue Burke's first full novels. Quite impressive in my view.

I think looking back that my biggest criticism of both book is the way some of the antagonists, who clearly believed passionately in their principles, still behaved in slightly, to me, implausibly extreme ways that were ultimately incompatible with those beliefs; I'm thinking of some of the punishments meted out to the children in particular.

Lacking a dustjacket will make it much less valuable I'm afraid.

In fine condition, a HB first edition Chilton with the blue boards might set you back $10,000, and there are none on eBay currently.
This signed one is more expensive:

View attachment 83147

A fine condition book club Chilton (same appearance and claiming to be a first edition, but with the red boards) tends to be about $300-$500. There are several on eBay, e.g.:

View attachment 83146
i kept thinking and honestly i wouldn't pay that much money for a book. i'm interested in books yes but in the content. i don't give a crap if it's the first or 1000th edition so long as is the same on the inside

I have a first edition of Fritz Lieber's A Spectre is Haunting Texas, a DG yellow jacket and I wonder if its worth anything. Tried to read it twice and failed (3rd time lucky perhaps?)

I’m still reading Vernor Vinge’s A Fire Upon The Deep.

To be honest, I really struggled with this at first. I found that I couldn’t get my head around the zones. Eventually, an analogy was drawn in the book with the depths of the ocean. Then it began to make a little more sense (what works on the surface may not work at greater depths…lack of sunlight, increasing pressure…that sort of thing). Then, a bit later on it was postulated that the zones might be an artifact and not a natural phenomenon. It began to make even more sense.

Ditto problems getting to grips with the perspective of the pack mind.
I’m still struggling to understand exactly what the Blight is (or what a Power is for that matter).

I was ready to give up on it a few times but, by about halfway through, I realised that I was beginning to enjoy it. I’m now almost 80% in and enjoying it even more. It’s one of those books that you’ve got to give it a long chance. Hope to finally be finished by the end of the week:)

Reading The Big and the Little, a Foundation novella by Asimov. Its not easy reading at about 40 pages long. Lot of politics and waffle but I'm intrigued.

Finished Redwall by Brian Jacques. I see why my brothers liked it growing up but it was a bit juvenile for me now. The heroes are never in any real danger, which makes their thrashing of the enemy begin to feel almost sadistic. Still, the various woodland animals are used to creative and entertaining effect. May read another one of these sometime.

Now no to Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. I don't know much about this going in and am not even sure where I heard of it to buy it.

Finished Redwall by Brian Jacques. I see why my brothers liked it growing up but it was a bit juvenile for me now. The heroes are never in any real danger, which makes their thrashing of the enemy begin to feel almost sadistic. Still, the various woodland animals are used to creative and entertaining effect. May read another one of these sometime.

Now no to Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. I don't know much about this going in and am not even sure where I heard of it to buy it.
You are in for a treat with Deed. Not your typical epic fantasy by any means.

Finished Monster, She Wrote, by Lisa Kroger and Melanie Anderson, which offers thumbnail sketches of the lives and works of the women who have written horror, from before Mary Shelley up to recent writers like Helen Oyeyemi. Not a bad book, it would make a good reference work for younger readers to draw on, and remind seasoned readers like myself that we don't know it all.

Also finished The Women of Weird Tales, which is entertaining pulp. Nothing quite on the level of Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Ray Bradbury or C. L. Moore in terms of exuberant prose stylings -- and I understand for some that will be a recommendation rather than a criticism -- the collection hits several of the horror tropes associated with WT. Still most of the stories show a perspective distinct from the male writers, and an interesting essay could be spun just out of Greye La Spina's "Great Pan is Here" on views of nature and sexuality, as well as male vs. female perspective on love in "The Remorse of Professor Panebianco."

Status
Not open for further replies.