DISCUSSION THREAD -- October 2021 -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #43

@Phyrebrat .... Johari's Window .... In a story which made me think of something from a literary magazine, Phyrebrat paints an ethereal tale of another time.

@Betok_Haney .... Wanderlust .... With a nod to a children's classic, B.H. weaves a tale of individuality, ingenuity, and independence.

Ian Fortytwo: The realism of this tale's opening sections increases the impact of the extraordinary events that follow. With wit and imagination, the author allows the reader to imagine further wonders.

Mon0Zer0: The dark tone throughout this story is appropriate to its apocalyptic and horrific plot. On another level, the importance of family, even under such terrible conditions, adds profundity to the theme.

@Deke ...Mercy, of a Kind... there is something tragic yet hopeful in this story. Fun to read because they leave you with this feeling as a reader of: "Wait are we? But that's good right?"

@Mon0Zer0 ...You Can't Run From the Night... well paced and definitely took me in an unexpected direction! Thank you!

Last edited:
Really enjoying these 300's, they really are delivering so many surprises. If we get many more that I enjoy even half as much as the latest non-vegetarian offering, I'm going to need a dozen votes. There are already more than three that fall into the "I cannot possibly see myself not giving one of my votes to that one" category!

Really enjoying these 300's, they really are delivering so many surprises. If we get many more that I enjoy even half as much as the latest non-vegetarian offering, I'm going to need a dozen votes. There are already more than three that fall into the "I cannot possibly see myself not giving one of my votes to that one" category!
I am in the same boat as you! It will be difficult to actually vote on just three, it is an absolute blooming of talent. Honestly choosing just three and then the rest of the night trying to untangle an intricate tangled web of lies to yourself when the inevitable second guessing begins...

Thanks for the awesome comments Peter V and Deke.

And yes I agree that the 300 challenges are so varied and fun to read; it's fascinating to see what inspiration different entries can draw from the same image.

I suspect not many outside of the British Isles will get my references but what the hot place. Consider it my attempt at a cheap, British reboot :D

paranoid marvin: With the easeful grace of classic children's fiction, which seems so simple and yet is extraordinarily difficult to create, the author draws us into a magical world of wonder. The surprising climax reminds the reader to expect the unexpected.

Luiglin: An unusual combination of grim post-apocalyptic despair and wistful nostalgia fills this sweeping yet introspective tale. The way in which these disparate moods are made to mesh perfectly in well worthy of admiration.

@Ian Fortytwo .... A Canal Ride to the Past .... Sometimes when you do the hard work, the whole world changes.

@Mon0Zer0 .... You Can’t Run From The Night .... If you think you know how it's going to go; you don't.

@Deke .... Mercy, of a kind .... Some mercies are tuned to a new beginning, some to an unsuspected ending.

@paranoid marvin .... Human Error .... Mistakes in identity and ability are the ones that just turn your stomach. ---- like literally

@Luiglin .... Livid Lou .... The war at the end of time leaves everyone forgotten and/or unseen.

Droflet: The spare, almost telegraphic style of this chilling tale well fits with the camouflaged menace that lurks within its heart. In addition to that, the contrast between the fates met by two sets of characters provides much interest and suspense.

@Droflet .... NARROW MARGIN .... There is more than one way a spider can trap its prey.

@JS Wiig .... One Way Out .... Any port in a storm, even the creepy crawly ones.

@mosaix .... Water World .... Some situations are intolerable, some solutions are too.

It's probably winding through the corridors of your mind even now.

--------

@Hugh .... A Cautionary Tale! Sniffing Ghosts is highly addictive! .... Hugh clues us into the secret life of Nursery Rhymes.
Sorry, @Parson, where is this story? I can’t find it for some reason.

Hello, @Provincial! I think our friend @Parson misplaced this post - this is a review of Hugh's 75 word entry (which - I've just checked - can be found on the second page of the current 75 Word Writing Challenge's thread). I've done this myself over the years - posted a 75 Word comment in the 300 Word discussion thread.

I wonder if a Moderator could move Parson's post above (#118) to the discussion thread for the October 75 Word Challenge? Merci, CC

Back