DISCUSSION THREAD -- October 2021 -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #43

@Astro Pen .... Preservation .... Preservation can call forth the ethical dilemma of having to choose the lesser of two evils.

@BT Jones .... Grand Union .... The Apocalypse isn't a great flash of light and a roaring beyond belief. It is a subtle congealing of a hundred small horrible things that slowly add up to the same conclusion.

@AnRoinnUltra .... Rosie's problem with The Postal Service .... There are depths to narrow boats that no postal service employee dares to plumb.

@Victoria Silverwolf .... Bindlestiff .... Respect is best paid by those who know price paid to move from here to there.

@Rafellin .... Gloriana Days .... Great tests survived makes the greatest of friends alive.

@Dan Jones .... The Travels Of Sir Reginald Rigmarole, Part 94! .... In the previous 93 parts, dear reader, Sir Reginald has been barred from the obligatory offal of Olympian oligarchs. In part 94 we must learn how he will need to escape, yet again, from the decidedly drastically decorated deputies.

@Victoria Silverwolf I have been wanting to write something with trains for so long! I am a little jealous. This story really brought me to cool fall nights and young adventurous school days. A lovely cast of eccentric characters at the beginning of a cosmic mystery...

Has anyone else been sufficiently inspired by narrowboats (as opposed to spiders) to want and have a little holiday in one at the next opportunity? It's not something I ever thought about, even when I lived in the UK, but I have to say I'm loving the idea now. Researching my story and looking at all the different canal routes and how the entire country was virtually connected from top to bottom with waterways, I just found it all enthralling. I think I'll have to hire one next time I'm back in the motherland, or maybe Scotland. Has anyone else seen that incredible loch / boat wheel in falkirk?

I know there's nothing authentic about researching stuff through google maps from a keyboard on the other side of the world, but I can't deny that's the part of the story writing process that I really love.

Attachments

• d1210e5ac134be4750d1b203c2c6af1a.jpg
    d1210e5ac134be4750d1b203c2c6af1a.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 73
I have been doing some research about experiences with narrow boats, how they behave and navigate and such. And looking for waterways that are in some way more extraordinary than others. I am used to crossing waterways where ever you go and have some experience on water as well. But the extensiveness of the canals in the UK is impressive.

@bedyak .... How Bill and I Doomed Humanity .... There comes a time when "doom" and "evolve" can be used as synonyms.
*I think Hillary Clinton should write a book with this title.

@Peter V .... Mercy’s War .... Peter's story reminds us that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.

@Peter V ...Mercy's War ...there are few things sweeter than a good post apocalyptic tale, I mean except the sweet tangy fruit of REVENGE!

@Astro Pen.. Preservation... really, it's always best to call first

bedyak: A sense of subtle irony fills this deceptively quiet tale, from the title to the profound climax. What may be most appealing about it is the dilemma faced by the narrator, and the choice made; how would you or I decide?

Peter V: The surface of this tense apocalyptic thriller is more that sufficient to grip the reader's attention firmly. How much more effective, then, is the final revelation, which deals with tragic conflicts that are all too common.

Ashleyne: With extraordinary imagination, the author presents a sweeping vision of an entirely different world. The surprising manner in which this incredible transformation plays out changes the story itself in an unexpected but entirely appropriate way.

Guttersnipe: The calm, matter-of-fact tone of this account of a most remarkable battle is completely fitting for what we might call gaslight fantasy. With the verisimilitude of a history book, the story presents an incredible past that comes to seem as real as our own.

Cat's Cradle: This grim picture of a dismal future makes use of a classic science fiction theme to make a vital point about the responsibility one has for one's actions. The character study it offers of someone deluding as to the righteousness of horrific actions reminds us that we all think we are on the side of right.

@Guttersnipe .... The Effrontery of Mr. Boggins .... Be careful who you anger because the old book reminds us that the battle is not always won by the strong.

@Cat's Cradle .... The Righteous Path Is a Two-Way Lane .... Be careful of what you plan because the old book reminds us that wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction.

I drew a blank on the pic this month (usually the minute I look at the photo, a story or idea comes) and even moaned about it in a PM yesterday.

However I got this written in about 30 mins then spent an hour tweaking on the way to work!

So now I can focus on not-writing my latest wip… ;)
What got your imagination fired up? Yes I am trying to steal an inspiration trick here...

What got your imagination fired up? Yes I am trying to steal an inspiration trick here...
My thoughts are dwelling on what we leave behind due to some worrying family news.

You can have my initial idea which was only a title : ‘Grandma’s Wedgewood’. But I suppose you’d need to be a Brit to know about Wedgewood (?).

Good luck tho, you have two weeks at least

That moment you realize you've accidentally spliced two sentences of your story together and it's too late to fix it...

My thoughts are dwelling on what we leave behind due to some worrying family news.

You can have my initial idea which was only a title : ‘Grandma’s Wedgewood’. But I suppose you’d need to be a Brit to know about Wedgewood (?).

Good luck tho, you have two weeks at least
Just my luck, I've lived in Birmingham UK for a short time, but I am all Johnny Canuck over here! Do you suppose you could make a version that involves a sugar cookie tin that is now filled with sewing supplies...

Phyrebrat: In this visionary, almost hallucinatory account of confronting one's past, we encouraged to ponder the fact that our personal histories are an inherent part of our personalities. Whether we desire our memories to remain with us always, or whether we would prefer that they fade away, they come and go as they please.

@Guttersnipe ...The Effrontery of Mr. Boggins... a refreshing take on halting progress and a master class on describing an epic battle in few words not to mention the second train story! Honestly whoever wins please post a train picture next!

@Cat's Cradle ...The Righteous Path Is a Two-Way Lane... left me in shock! The naked ambition mixed with literally dueling one's own self is delicious.

Back