Visual/font tools for writing

Flaviosky

Supporter
Hello!

This time I come with a specific issue. I want to show when you hear this kind of hellish voice that sounds distorted, and I've come up with this:

“I tOLd yOu…you’LL neVEr geT Rid oF Me…I aM bEYoNd liFe anD dEAth…"

May this way to write a hellish/distorted voice work or it's just too messy or confusing?

So...

Are there other visual tools using caps, fonts or any other that serve certain purposes?

Hoping to hear your opinions!

Is this a kids or YA book? Outside of that the effect might end up being comical. It might be better to describe the voice and make the description scary.

“I tOLd yOu…you’LL neVEr geT Rid oF Me…I aM bEYoNd liFe anD dEAth…"

I've read a few books that do something different.
But usually with shorter sections. If they did it they might do it this way.

I. Told. You. You'll never get rid of me. I . Am. Beyond. Life. And. Death.

I wouldn't use any effects like this in text except italics for thoughts, emphasis and maybe psychic communication. I've seen random capitals used to suggest stupidity on the internet, too, although perhaps only in politics. Likewise, when comics have a person shouting "Noooo" as they fall off a cliff, I always read it to rhyme with "Moo".

I think this is one of those areas where books can't quite do what films can, and the effect has to be inferred from what the character is like and has done, perhaps with an earlier description of their voice.

Of course, Terry Pratchett's Death spoke only in capitals, but that was outright comedy and the rules are a bit different for that.

I really wouldn't use this, it looks like a Gen-Z youtube comment.

I think you're better off describing the voice and maybe using italics without quotation marks. Or with quotation marks, but the jar of the omission could make it seem a little more otherworldly.

First and before all, I would make the voice menacing using words. If the character isn't menacing, nothing will make him so. If his voice--what he says and how he says it--is not menacing, then typography will not make it so.

Once you have achieved menace, ask yourself whether typographic tricks are still worth the effort.

Back