DISCUSSION THREAD -- October 2021 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
Congratulations @Betok_Haney.
Mine was personal to me this month, I've watched my mum slowly lose herself to vascular dementia and sadly passed away a few days after I wrote this, wasn't expecting a mention never mind a vote. Thank you everyone who shortlisted and to @StilLearning and @AnRoinnUltra for the votes.

Last edited:

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
Deepest sympathies, @nixie. Losing a mother is such a hard thing, I know (I lost my own to Alzheimer's-related illness).
There was a real sense of heart and emotion, and the values in listening and remembering, in your fine story. A piece of your art with which to commemorate your mother. Condolences, CC

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
Congratulations, Betok_Haney!

I was engrossed with a talk on the Sutton Hoo ship last night -- which, thinking about it, was itself a kind of ghost, in that its body had long since disappeared with little of it left than a ghost image in the earth! So I didn't have time to do my usual shortlist and thanks, but I did manage to rush in, re-read everything and vote.

My vote went to Daysman for a lovely piece, with not a word wasted. I was in two minds about some entries this month as they weren't ghost stories in the usual accepted sense, but nonetheless if I'd made a short list I'd have included the stories from nixie and CC among them, just for the poignancy of their work.

And belated thanks for the shortlistings/mentions johnnyjet, Parson, BT Jones, Provincial, Starbeast, CC and Chris P, and many thanks for the lovely vote Mon0Zer0!

Provincial

The price of a bargain is eternal vigilance.
Supporter
Mine was personal to me this month, I've watched my mum slowly lose herself to vascular dementia and sadly passed away a few days after I wrote this, wasn't expecting a mention never mind a vote. Thank you everyone who shortlisted and to @StilLearning and @AnRoinnUltra for the votes.
Really sorry to hear this nixie, it can be a really cruel way to lose a loved one. My condolences.

Hugh

Supporter
Many many Congratulations @Betok_Haney.

And good to see all of 46 entries this month.

Regarding my own entry: I wrote it very early on in the month, but then as I was about to post it, it dawned on me that while it featured ghosts, no way was it in the ghost story genre. I put it on hold in case anything else came to mind, but I'm very much a one-story-a-month person and anyway it tickled me, so in the end it got posted...

Bowler1

Senile Supporter
Supporter
Well done Betok_Haney and I loved the simple heart warming ending you worked up.
Now lets have something with RAY GUNS in, as I'm not a big ghost fan.

Hugh

Supporter
I've just re-read your story. I'd already listed it, but I hadn't fully appreciated just how good it is