Pulp Western Title

Timben

I'm trying to come up with the right title for my Egyptian story. These two are my favorite: Devil of the Desert & The Pyramid of Darkness. Any title ideas would be appreciated. It's a pulp western, set in 1893. The plot goes as follows: In revolutionary Egypt, adventurers Sam Cassidy and Chen Tao were invited to Alexandria. Professor Pericles has vanished in the desert while seeking out the tomb of Teshef the Great. They are recruited by Professor Pericles' daughter, whose knowledge and deciphering the hieroglyphic puzzles that pinpoint the location of the hidden tomb. It was believed to be the richest buried along with gold — is the Devil's Trident. Things go not as planned, as Sebastian Braddock and his mercenaries head for Alexandria to steal the treasure from Sam and Chen. Sam and his friends face wild Vutan bandits and Braddock's mercenaries while Sam tackles the horrors that await them. But who will win at the end: Sam, Braddock, or something else?

I like both Devil of the Desert and Pyramid of Darkness - but it seems that the focus is the pursuit of "The Devil's Trident" - so why not just use that?

If the story has more of a western flavor, then I'd suggest "Devil of the Desert." If it is more of a fantasy, then I'd lean towards "The Pyramid of Darkness." Either one would work, though. Both would probably be enough for me to read the back cover blurb. It is usually the blurb that makes the buy decision for me.

If the story has more of a western flavor, then I'd suggest "Devil of the Desert." If it is more of a fantasy, then I'd lean towards "The Pyramid of Darkness." Either one would work, though. Both would probably be enough for me to read the back cover blurb. It is usually the blurb that makes the buy decision for me.
It's supposed to have a flavor of pulpish in the tradition of "Indiana Jones". But I appreciate either way.

How about Sam Cassidy and the Devil's Trident? It does sound slightly like a country band, but it's got that Indiana Jones title structure. The only problem I've got with it is that "trident" makes me think of the sea, and "devil's" makes me think of the pointy-beard Victorian Christian Devil. Maybe a more Ancient Egyptian word would be better in the title - like your "pyramid" or maybe "tomb". "Pharaoh of Death" is slightly cheesy, but works for me. As I'm sure you know, there's a long pulp tradition of Egypt being linked to necromancy, mummies etc, so maybe something of that could be worked into it?

Anyway, I like the sounds of this!

How about Sam Cassidy and the Devil's Trident? It does sound slightly like a country band, but it's got that Indiana Jones title structure. The only problem I've got with it is that "trident" makes me think of the sea, and "devil's" makes me think of the pointy-beard Victorian Christian Devil. Maybe a more Ancient Egyptian word would be better in the title - like your "pyramid" or maybe "tomb". "Pharaoh of Death" is slightly cheesy, but works for me. As I'm sure you know, there's a long pulp tradition of Egypt being linked to necromancy, mummies etc, so maybe something of that could be worked into it?

Anyway, I like the sounds of this!
Thank you. I will let everyone know once it is released.

This is the second book that I am working on. I can't tell you about the first book because I will get in trouble. But I will say that it's already out.

I would like to private message you. About my first book. Please pm me.

Just in case anyone is confused by Timben's post #12 and is unaware of the rules, only Supporters are now allowed to promote their work here on Chrons, so that means non-Supporters can't give details of their published novels.

But, of course, if anyone is interested in knowing more about Timben's book there is nothing to stop members contacting him by PM to learn more.

Back