Italics for ship names?

MartinC

Just want to get a feel for what other people do here...

I've a couple of ships that are named in the story I'm writing. I have in places used italics to denote the ship name (but not always, as I'm just not that consistent). I'm probably going to go back through and italicise the ones I skipped over as I prefer how it looks and it I think it helps identity it as a ship (for example one of the ships is called Stranger in the Night which they shorten to Stranger. My gut says that the italics just confirms it's the vessel I'm talking about and not some random stranger that's walked into the scene). What do other writers do?

Is there a consensus? Is there even a right or wrong? Is it just subjective and if I wanted to could I make each character a different colour while I'm at it (I won't do that)?

Thanks!

Yep, I've italicised them on the odd occasions I've used them, and I've just checked an Iain M Banks novel and he's done the same -- I think it is pretty standard.

Whatever you do, though, the important thing is to be consistent so do make the necessary changes.

If you're planning to SP, and the software allows for it, you can make the names polka-dotted or tartan if you like, but if you're planning to submit to agents, best tone down on the eccentricities! ;)

The usual guide for that is to use italics.
If you have professional editing done they will likely suggest that.
Always do a search on the names to be certain you do every time.

That was how I did it for my novels.
Both ships and stations.

As a reader I like names like that in italic. Really underlines the inanimate nature of it I think.

Just another vote for italics -I find it easy on the eye and like @Andy Hauser wrote, it reminds me that the writer is referring to a specific inanimate thing (though with Sci-Fi all bets are off!)