Terry Pratchett vs Dr Who

That's 10 years old but I agree with everything he says and it's got worse if anything. Interesting he mentions Star Cops. I know I watched it, but I can't remember being as taken with it as he obviously was. I think there have been other TV shows that you could definitely call "science fiction" but they are never popular. For some reason, fantasy and horror are much more popular on TV. Or maybe they are in print too and it is only that I walk past those shelves. A deus ex machina ending is annoying in any story. Even the cavalry arriving in a western in annoying.

Quite a nice read actually.

The collector in me wants to collect the DVD releases of the original Dr. Who.

Quite a nice read actually.

The collector in me wants to collect the DVD releases of the original Dr. Who.
That's why I signed up with Britbox so that I could watch all the old Doctors. The FX may be a bit ropey but some of the stories still hold up. They had a structure and were great little stories not just "Look aliens," "Run!!" "I'm So Sorry," and more recently PREACH, PREACH, story, PREACH.

I remember arguing at school about the tune, particularly how long you should go bumdy bum bumdy bum bumdy bum bumdy bum before you got on to the woooooooeeeeeee bumdidy bum bit."

Ok, this made me very happy. There were only a select few in my school that would even know what this meant.

Good read, thank you for posting it. I'm not sure that I care about the argument if it is science fiction or not, but I do love the writing (especially most early Doctors). The Tenant episodes really took it up a notch, in my opinion, with much deeper character development of the Doctor's dark past and psyche.

My favourite classic Dr Who serial is Inferno . It's seven parter and , it's got everything . Parallel dimensions, evil and not so evil doppelgängers ,monsters , an ambitious, ego driven scientist whose project could bring abut the end of the world . It's epic ! :cool: (y)

Last edited: