Whats your favourite way of quoting other text inside your own prose?

DAgent

Picture the scene, your main character has picked up a book or a file or a magazine and then reads it. I've had two thoughts about how to do this, one would be just have them read it out loud "Oh hey have you heard this? "The mating rituals of the lesser spotted Shy Bird are so rarely observed it's believed this may be lending a part in their numbers lowering" I didn't know that."

But I also thought about doing in my own prose, by basically having the quoted text displayed in Italics and be tabbed in more than the regular text.
So if this formatting works it would look a bit like this on the page.
Before the text goes back to it's regular spacing afterwards.

But how would everyone here want to do this, and what other methods have you came across? Or there any you've seen that just didn't work for you?

This is almost how I do this except that if using double quote for dialogue you should use single for the inner quote; for clarity.
"Oh hey have you heard this? "The mating rituals of the lesser spotted Shy Bird are so rarely observed it's believed this may be lending a part in their numbers lowering" I didn't know that."

"Oh hey have you heard this? 'The mating rituals of the lesser spotted Shy Bird are so rarely observed it's believed this may be lending a part in their numbers lowering' I didn't know that."

And of course if you use single quote for dialogue then double quotes for the inner.

This is almost how I do this except that if using double quote for dialogue you should use single for the inner quote; for clarity.

"Oh hey have you heard this? 'The mating rituals of the lesser spotted Shy Bird are so rarely observed it's believed this may be lending a part in their numbers lowering' I didn't know that."

And of course if you use single quote for dialogue then double quotes for the inner.
Yeah, agree with this example.

I never would have thought of doing it like. Thanks :)

For longer passages, I've seen it done as a paragraph (or paragraphs) that is all indented as a block. (Can't demonstrate as I don't seem to have tabs here!)