First review of Dune is in

It seems Indiewire is more critical of the film than others, at least according to RT.

NB: People who don't want to read the reviews should skip my post, which is mostly a couple of quotes.

Favorite line from the original review: "the cinematic equivalent of being handed a novelty-sized check made out for six dollars".

On the other hand, I don't think this guy at RT was listening to himself: "Dune is science fiction at its best. Denis Villeneuve has created one of the best fantasy features since Peter Jackson's journey into Middle Earth."

The theory of relativity is science at its best. Einstein has created one of the best magic spells since Newton's journey into alchemy.

I sometimes get the impression that critics cannot possible enjoy the movies they watch as they're so busy looking for things to pick up, they don't look for things to enjoy. Their words are tosh and i still very much looking forward to this.

I sometimes get the impression that critics cannot possible enjoy the movies they watch as they're so busy looking for things to pick up, they don't look for things to enjoy. Their words are tosh and i still very much looking forward to this.

It will do good box office and we will get part 2 .

I don't normally buy it but Total Film magazine has a 20 page spread this month on the making of Dune. I've only skimmed through it for now but it fills me with hope that this movie will be worth watching:)

I don't normally buy it but Total Film magazine has a 20 page spread this month on the making of Dune. I've only skimmed through it for now but it fills me with hope that this movie will be worth watching:)

So far, its scoring well on Rotten Tomatoes . That tends to be a good sign.

I wish critics would talk about the craft a bit more, and less about everything else.

From what I've read it sounds like the movie was ambitious, subtle, and with a lot of character development. That description doesn't sound like the kind of movie which would appeal to the "Marvel" side of the S.F. fans. --- If that's so, it's hard to see it doing really well.

From what I've read it sounds like the movie was ambitious, subtle, and with a lot of character development. That description doesn't sound like the kind of movie which would appeal to the "Marvel" side of the S.F. fans. --- If that's so, it's hard to see it doing really well.

Added to the 'ambition, subtlety and character development' is that this is Part One. I read in reviews that before the story really gets going the end credits suddenly starts rolling across the silver screen, after 150 mins. Sounds like Ambitious with a Capital, but will leave you with an unsatisfied, hungry feeling. Which could be a problem if disappointing box office figures bars the making of Part Two.
Still, Part One seems to be jaw dropping and I want to see it! Even if there never comes a Part Two. We've been waiting far too long for a seriously good adaptation of Dune. According to most of the critics this is ambitiously good.

(And I don care what Marvel fans think of it)

Added to the 'ambition, subtlety and character development' is that this is Part One. I read in reviews that before the story really gets going the end credits suddenly starts rolling across the silver screen, after 150 mins. Sounds like Ambitious with a Capital, but will leave you with an unsatisfied, hungry feeling. Which could be a problem if disappointing box office figures bars the making of Part Two.
Still, Part One seems to be jaw dropping and I want to see it! Even if there never comes a Part Two. We've been waiting far too long for a seriously good adaptation of Dune. According to most of the critics this is ambitiously good.

(And I don care what Marvel fans think of it)

Hopefully , they do part 2.

I watched Dune last week and was very pleasantly surprised. Beautiful scenes and cool spaceships. Plus importantly some great acting and the story was not butchered. Some characters are a bit shallowly drawn but that is the way with converting long books to films. There are few moments of mortal concern for our hero but there is some drama there. Recommended!