First review of Dune is in

It felt to me like half of this movie was edited from the screen. Too many clipped scenes with A-list actors.

I think it's one of those works that does better as a mini-series.

I think I must have a 180° mind - I seem to enjoy just about everything critics don't...

Mind you:
A critic is a man who creates nothing and thereby feels qualified to judge the work of creative men.
Robert A Heinlein.

Ok , after (eventually) getting over the fact that this isn't David Lynch's Dune, I watched the second third of the movie. And it's not bad. It's still not as aesthetically pleasing as the original, and (surprisingly) Lynch's film does explain and show some scenes much better - the new movie for example doesn't really make it clear what was stopping the Harkonnen from attacking, or who and why this was rectified.

To a large extent, the movie seems to be almost a shot-by-shot remake of Lynch's movie. Now I know that they are both based on the same novel, and events occur in a specific order, but it's almost as if the new movie is based on the old movie rather than on the book.

It does have its own style, and as I've mentioned elsewhere the ornithopters are very cool. I don't buy that everyone uses swords/sharp weapons, and I'm sure originally the troopers (esp the Saudaukar) used laser weapons. The use of so many swords, and all the unrealistic jumping about waving them, just doesn't seem to ring true when you have laser cannons bringing down spacecraft.

I've yet to watch the final third section, and if I hadn't seen David Lynch's Dune, I would probably say that it was a pretty good movie. But the simple fact is that this movie makes DL's movie seem even better than it has any right to. In fact if the enormous budge for this remake had been used to tidy up the original movie, along with some added cut scenes and some serious editing time, we could have been looking at the definitive Dune movie.

It does have its own style, and as I've mentioned elsewhere the ornithopters are very cool. I don't buy that everyone uses swords/sharp weapons, and I'm sure originally the troopers (esp the Saudaukar) used laser weapons.

In the book laser weapons (lasguns) are used sparingly by all factions, because a) shields are common now, and a lasgun beam hitting a shield creates a nuclear explosion and b) the lasguns themselves are unreliable for reasons I forget. A) is not as much of a problem when shooting at spacecraft.

I found the Sardaukar appearance a disappointment in the Villeneuve film- their costumes looked like baggy, drab fencing outfits to me. David Lynch's black hazmat suits weren't exactly a triumph either but at least they seemed moderately intimidating. Come to think of it, I also prefer the flamboyant uniforms of the 2000 miniseries. That said, the ritual on Salusa Secundus is one of my favorite parts of the movie.

Overall, there were some good designs in the new film but it leans heavy on the muted colors and greys that seem all the rage in scifi now, and I much prefer the baroque aesthetic of the Lynch film (or even the aesthetic of the 2000 miniseries) and I think it's a better fit for the world of Dune.

One other criticism of the new movie is that, while the Baron was well-played generally, he is given some dumb lines, like when Rabban asks him what to do about the Fremen and the Baron stupidly utters "kill them all." This makes the Baron out to be some cookie-cutter mwahaha villain, and is nonsensical in light of his actual plan which is to have Rabban exploit the Fremen for slave labor, and treat them so badly, so that Feyd can come in later as their savior and win their loyalty by being nicer than his brother.

In the book laser weapons (lasguns) are used sparingly by all factions, because a) shields are common now, and a lasgun beam hitting a shield creates a nuclear explosion and b) the lasguns themselves are unreliable for reasons I forget. A) is not as much of a problem when shooting at spacecraft.

I found the Sardaukar appearance a disappointment in the Villeneuve film- their costumes looked like baggy, drab fencing outfits to me. David Lynch's black hazmat suits weren't exactly a triumph either but at least they seemed moderately intimidating. Come to think of it, I also prefer the flamboyant uniforms of the 2000 miniseries. That said, the ritual on Salusa Secundus is one of my favorite parts of the movie.

Overall, there were some good designs in the new film but it leans heavy on the muted colors and greys that seem all the rage in scifi now, and I much prefer the baroque aesthetic of the Lynch film (or even the aesthetic of the 2000 miniseries) and I think it's a better fit for the world of Dune.

One other criticism of the new movie is that, while the Baron was well-played generally, he is given some dumb lines, like when Rabban asks him what to do about the Fremen and the Baron stupidly utters "kill them all." This makes the Baron out to be some cookie-cutter mwahaha villain, and is nonsensical in light of his actual plan which is to have Rabban exploit the Fremen for slave labor, and treat them so badly, so that Feyd can come in later as their savior and win their loyalty by being nicer than his brother.

The Baron was far more menacing in the Lynch movie, and his 'floaty' bits looked far more realistic.

I didn't realise that about the lasers and shields, so thanks for pointing it out. It's been quite some time since I read the books.

The Baron was far more menacing in the Lynch movie, and his 'floaty' bits looked far more realistic.

In his grotesqueness I think Lynch's Baron was definitely the most Lynchian part of the film. He would get along with Frank Booth (but probably stab him in the back anyway). Frank Herbert's Harkonnens are not nice people by any stretch but they do seem to occasionally enjoy some of the finer things on their planet (e.g. gardens, art) and the Baron comes across as having a more subtle intellect. Actually I think this is where Villeneuve shows the most influence from Lynch's film versus from the book.

I didn't realise that about the lasers and shields, so thanks for pointing it out. It's been quite some time since I read the books.
Lynch's Baron had borderline pedophile vibes.

To me this is better than Lynch’s version. Less of a messy watch. But comparing films from decades apart isn’t always fair. The previous version needed to be directed by a visionary and was.

I watched this and thought it was excellent. The visuals, the casting, the music score. My only criticism was the gender changing of Liet Kynes, which seemed pointless.

The ornithopters were great, the Fremen were visually satisfying. I just all around enjoyed the experience and am really excited for part 2.