Recursion by Blake Crouch

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
This is my second book from Blake Crouch; my first – Dark Matter – I found pushed my suspension of disbelief just a little too far with the infinite universes science, which, for me, is too ridiculous with it’s associated requirement for an infinite amount of matter to fill those infinite universes. This time he manages to stay just inside my acceptable level of disbelief, despite the subject matter of time travel being fundamentally unbelievable. Somehow the underlying mechanism with which he achieves hit keeps if just inside my acceptable levels of credulity!

A plague of false memories leads unexpectedly into a world of time travel, that rather neatly becomes weaponised, and in turn leads inextricably into an horrendous blind alley of destruction. This is a clever book that plays with memories and a method to go back and change them, so changing time. However outlandish that premise might be it does somehow work and Crouch does a generally very creditable job of not getting the reader too tangled up in the potential paradoxes and time loops that ensue. Along the way he provides the reader with a number of interesting and believable characters who are neither too perfect nor too flawed.

A good book that held my attention throughout and kept me turning the pages.

4/5 stars

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
paranoid marvin Blake's 7 5
Pyan Blake's 7 40
Jo Zebedee Writing Discussion 2
AndrewT Book Discussion 2
A General TV Discussion 7