September Reading Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read Killdozer! by Theodore Sturgeon. Its a novella in the Mammoth Book of Golden Age SF I'm ploughing through (pun intended)
Has this been expanded into a novel, or dare I say it, filmed? Bonkers in parts and a lot of the terminology went over my head (I get the impression that Sturgeon had such work in his past) but it was fun.
Yes, it was made into a film, I remember watching it on telly in the early 1980s

Just read Killdozer! by Theodore Sturgeon. Its a novella in the Mammoth Book of Golden Age SF I'm ploughing through (pun intended)
Has this been expanded into a novel, or dare I say it, filmed? Bonkers in parts and a lot of the terminology went over my head (I get the impression that Sturgeon had such work in his past) but it was fun.
It was adapted into a made-for-TV movie:

Killdozer-1974-movie-Jerry-London-8.jpg

And as a comic book.

wu6.jpg

I'll try to finish Eco's 'Name of the Rose' by the end of the week. I'm enjoying it but having a history degree probably helps.

I'll try to finish Eco's 'Name of the Rose' by the end of the week. I'm enjoying it but having a history degree probably helps.
That's a book that I definitely enjoyed but only in parts. Much of it felt pretentiously intellectual; my Latin was not up to the comparatively long sections in that language, and some of the interminably long descriptions of carvings above doors etc. were just too much. But the story and the history were great.

Have read Philip Pullman's Northern Lights this month and am now reading The Subtle Knife. I'm also making my way through a book called Eight Ghosts, a collection of ghost stories set in English Heritage sites. I bought it at Lindisfarne Priory, which is one of the sites under EH's care (though unfortunately not one of the story settings).

Yes, it was made into a film, I remember watching it on telly in the early 1980s

When I was working down t'pit there was a machine called an Eimco that was basically a coal mining dozer.

I was on nights and going to check on a pump, I had to cross into another tunnel, nobody working in there.

An Eimco was stood in the roadway facing me, having just seen Killdozer I genuinely was scared to walk past it!

eoe62yig.jpg

I'm also making my way through a book called Eight Ghosts, a collection of ghost stories set in English Heritage sites. I bought it at Lindisfarne Priory, which is one of the sites under EH's care (though unfortunately not one of the story settings).

I had some Lindisfarne Mead for the first time last weekend, coincidentally. Lovely taste.

Yes! I bought some of that from the winery too. Haven't opened it yet but I've had it before and it is lovely. I don't know why the English don't make more of a thing of mead; it's delicious stuff and we do it really well, but you can probably only buy it from old castles and the like.

Just finished The 13th Vote by Brendan Gavin, the story built up nicely as it went on -well worth a look. Gonna try a book a month ...chicken feed by the standards here but I'm being realistic. Next up is either Failure is not an option by Gene Kranz, or Beneath a Gibbous Moon by James Allen (the blurb to Gibbous reminds me of Matt Seatons The Escape Artist, might be be the cancer thing, in any case it looks interesting).

Status
Not open for further replies.