September Reading Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it turns out i had already read troll apocalypse by weber. not in the mood to reread. there are few books that i like to reread

That's not an unusual problem with people who like to read in a particular genre.

That's not an unusual problem with people who like to read in a particular genre.
unnamed.jpg

Finished Ganymede Whispers by Joshua T. Calvert. It is book 2 the series. Whether it's the pen-ultimate book I haven't a clue. Overall I would say it was a bit better than Ganymede Wakes (book 1). The characters are more developed, their back story is more filled out, and you begin to have a clue as to some of the questions that form the plot. Frustratingly, the story just ends. There is no pretense of closing this part of the story. I suppose that's a good technique to get people to read book 3, (Ganymede Rises) but it did not make me a happy camper. --- That's one of the problems with reading electronic books. Unless you are paying attention to the % read, you don't have a clue as to how near the end of the book you actually are. --- I have Ganymede Rises queued, ..... might start reading it, but I'm almost aggravated enough to let it sit for a while.

Finished Ganymede Whispers by Joshua T. Calvert. It is book 2 the series. Whether it's the pen-ultimate book I haven't a clue. Overall I would say it was a bit better than Ganymede Wakes (book 1). The characters are more developed, their back story is more filled out, and you begin to have a clue as to some of the questions that form the plot. Frustratingly, the story just ends. There is no pretense of closing this part of the story. I suppose that's a good technique to get people to read book 3, (Ganymede Rises) but it did not make me a happy camper. --- That's one of the problems with reading electronic books. Unless you are paying attention to the % read, you don't have a clue as to how near the end of the book you actually are. --- I have Ganymede Rises queued, ..... might start reading it, but I'm almost aggravated enough to let it sit for a while.
I hate that and I'm finding it more and more common. I think writing a good ending is difficult and, it seems, many authors find it much less bother to make it a series figuring then that they don't need to write a proper ending. Most of the better authors I read, but certainly not all, do properly finish each volume in a series. There are some authors who do not, and I simply won't pick them up again. There are enough good ones out there to keep me reading so why would I bother with the ones that leave me feeling frustrated!

I declare I am become that grumpy old man!

I’m now starting Brideshead Revisited by Waugh. I’ve read other books by EW before (I loved Handful of Dust), but not this novel, funnily enough.

I’m now starting Brideshead Revisited by Waugh. I’ve read other books by EW before (I loved Handful of Dust), but not this novel, funnily enough.
good tv show

Interference by Sue Burke - second volume in this intelligent, hard SF trilogy. More here.
Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson - part excellent hard SF generational starship, part appallingly self-indulgent philosophising. More here.
Bear Head by Adrian Tchaikovsky - excellent sequel to Dogs of War. Especially the antagonist, to me, obviously parodying Trump! More here.
Boundless by Jack Campbell – this is the first book in the new series set in Campbell’s ‘Lost Fleet’ universe. No special review as it’s consistent with the others in the previous series. It's good well written military space opera. Enjoyable light reading; the goodies are all predictably good and the baddies all predictably bad!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.