September Reading Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently reading The Classic Philip Jose Farmer: 1952-1964
It has one of my favourite Farmer short stories in this collection - Sail On! sail On!

Today's read is Stolen Earth by J.T. Nicholas - a SF yarn where a combination of Evil AIs, genetic plagues and climate failure has forced mankind out into space and scrabbling for existence with few resources

Today's read is Stolen Earth by J.T. Nicholas - a SF yarn where a combination of Evil AIs, genetic plagues and climate failure has forced mankind out into space and scrabbling for existence with few resources
Sounds a bit like the background behind the Station series (Crashing Heaven/Breaking Hell) by Al Robertson.

I'd be interested to hear a comparison.

Sounds a bit like the background behind the Station series (Crashing Heaven/Breaking Hell) by Al Robertson.

I'd be interested to hear a comparison.
I initially thought that when I read the blurb, but this story quickly morphed into the typical 'small mismatched spaceship crew taking on the near impossible challenge"
A very trope-ish yarn now, nothing special

so... finished the white devil by paul hoffman and here is my sincere... critic: WTF!!!! what was he smoking??

Not sure where I left off here... I bailed on Cussler (it's dated without the cheese that redeems similar-era dumb action movies) and Sayers (I had read this and didn't care for it and 60 pages in still don't) and opted to finally read Agatha Christie's Murder of Roger Ackroyd. It was pretty good, as Christie always is. Fun take on Poirot too.

Now I'm going WAAAY back to my childhood to read a book all of my brothers loved and rave about in Redwall by Brian Jacques. Like virtually every other fantasy property of the era, it's been scooped up for a tv series on one of the streaming platforms looking to capture the GOT audience. So far it's definitely YA, but I'm finding the optimism refreshing. It's no Watership Down, but pretty ideal for easy reading during the busy season at work.

Tonight's reading:-

Screenshot_20210927-204756.jpg

Very curious about these books, but have always been a little afraid they'd ruin it for me.
This is the 4th one I've read, written by Tim Lebbon, the first 3 were a different writer, James Lovegrove, but I really enjoyed them.

Ruin it? You can't ruin perfection ;)

Brideshead has been put aside as my friend has now given me the next ambivalent book she wants me to read and rant about. The Binding by Bridget Collins. Read 30 pages at lunch and sounds intriguing, although I hope we now calm down with the relentless "We know something about you -- oops and I'll abruptly stop talking right there." I'm invested already, OK, no need to slap me around the face with it.

Library of the dead by Glenn Cooper
A crime thriller with (maybe) time travel/aliens but I need to read a bit more of it to confirm

Finished Warship by Joshua Dalzelle, and just like @Danny McG suggested it was pretty decent Military SF. I did not go right to book two Call to Arms instead I picked up Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin. This was a book that was strangely appealing to me but it is not anything like my normal SF adventure. It is the story of a young (13 year-old) girl on a Starship. Before the earth imploded it and several other ships were used to transport humans to other near earth planets to start colonies, the people who were transported were largely manual laborers. Now, the Starship that the girl is on and all the others maintain a crew and their families, who were the educated people of those who survived and they trade with the colonies. Almost all the tech belongs the ship people and so they are able to finance their way of living by getting raw materials from colonies and selling manufactured goods to the colonies, while never sharing the information which makes the manufactured items possible. This is a key point in the story, but the story is largely a coming of age story. As a coming of age story most of the action is muted and there's a lot of self-reflection, especially about ethics and philosophy. It was written in 1968, but it's age hardly shows through at all. I doubt this was a big seller at the time because: 1. It has a terrible cover which I doubt drew many to look at it. 2. Although the heroine in a young teen the tone of the book is written to a much older audience. 3. The author wrote little else, and what I find was hardly read. It's not a book I'll forget soon. Recommended.

Just read Killdozer! by Theodore Sturgeon. Its a novella in the Mammoth Book of Golden Age SF I'm ploughing through (pun intended)
Has this been expanded into a novel, or dare I say it, filmed? Bonkers in parts and a lot of the terminology went over my head (I get the impression that Sturgeon had such work in his past) but it was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.