DISCUSSION THREAD -- September 2021 -- 75-Word Writing Challenge

Well, I've made my first attempt at the 75 word challenge. I've often thought about it but this time I actually had an idea. Looking forward to reading everything everyone else has cooked up.

Despite my affinity with rules (and regulations and laws and decrees and diktats, edicts and ukases) I was utterly museless this month, so I swiped sideways.

EDIT: just to confirm -- to avoid any one else sending me angry emojis!! -- I'd already posted my story when I wrote the above. The "swiped" was a nod at my story, not a rejection of the Challenge challenge!

Last edited:
@ckatt .... Blending In .... Sometimes when you blend in you're all wet.
@Starbeast .... Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory: Alternate Ending #9 .... All's well that ends well? Oh well.
@The Judge .... Ghost in the Machine .... When the truth appears in a story The Judge will know it and write it.

EDIT: just to confirm -- to avoid any one else sending me angry emojis!! -- I'd already posted my story when I wrote the above. The "swiped" was a nod at my story, not a rejection of the Challenge challenge!

Ah, I was just dusting off the angry emoji and then you go and post. Poor angry emoji doesn't get many opportunities to be used.

Funnily enough I was listening to a podcast t'other day about the potential dangers of dating apps to breed psychopathic behaviours in individuals, so your story was, to me, quite topical.

EDIT: just to confirm -- to avoid any one else sending me angry emojis!! -- I'd already posted my story when I wrote the above. The "swiped" was a nod at my story, not a rejection of the Challenge challenge
Chrons folk… don’t believe her Hon. My angry emoji is wholly responsible for gentle encouragement… and don’t look at the timestamps, nothing to see there. No evidence to adduce …

Funnily enough I was listening to a podcast t'other day about the potential dangers of dating apps to breed psychopathic behaviours in individuals, so your story was, to me, quite topical.
That really doesn't surprise me (the dangers, not you listening to a podcast!) -- I've come across articles about the ghosting that goes on (and haunting, and Marleying and a dozen other to me borderline-sociopathic behaviours) and I've wondered whether it follows across into other areas of life, leading to criminal offences.

That really doesn't surprise me (the dangers, not you listening to a podcast!) -- I've come across articles about the ghosting that goes on (and haunting, and Marleying and a dozen other to me borderline-sociopathic behaviours) and I've wondered whether it follows across into other areas of life, leading to criminal offences.
Sigh! yes. The only questions are how often and what actions cross the line from being a bit asocial into being criminal.

----

@Abernovo .... Always Go Before You Go Outside .... There's a reason that some rules are the first rules.

Thanks, as ever, @Parson. And, yes, there really are reasons for some rules.

@Ursa major .... The Rules of Lore(s) .... The truth is that there is nothing new under the sun, although it might appear that there are. It's all in the data.

Parson: Sometimes the simplest instructions are the best.

Moonbat: Extreme caution is often wise.

ckatt: Drawing too much attention to one's self can be dangerous.

Starbeast: Tyranny may be defeated through direct action.

The Judge: Do we control our possessions, or do they control us?

Abernovo: Take care of the most important things first.

Ursa major: You can fool all of the people some of the time.

Good fun, great reading as always, and hard to pick:
Thought @BT Jones star wars thing was good craic (You can have any (evil empire) colour you like, as long as its black...), and @Bren G s Fairy's Tale really did the job for me too; I ended up voting for 'A Perfectly Vicious Little Circle' by @Artoriarius

Thanks for the stories

Shortlist:
Culture Shock by Betok_Haney
Doubting Thomas, or, Warning: Blasphemy Not Allowed by Guttersnipe
Chainless by Astro Pen

Vote:
Late Returns by Phyrebrat

Back