Writing is like…

JS Wiig

“Hello, muse?” “Please hold…” *elevator music*
Supporter
Writing is like digging for gold: if you wanna find something good, you gotta keep digging. And it helps to dig in the right spot.

What are some of your writing advice metaphors or similes?

...trying to fight a Grizzly Bear with a teabag.

Apologies for the dodgy effort -wanted to keep the thread going but my vocabulary failed me, reminds me of a Chuck Norris... thing from years back: Chuck Norris doesn't read books, he just stares at them untill they give him the information he wants
(hopefully someone else will do your title justice)

Writing is the speech of the soul.

I kept it simple - which is fittingly my writing style. Depends on my mood also. Yesterday I would have said it's like being punched in the gut repeatedly by Mike Tyson.

Writing (for a pantser) is like driving somewhere without a map or GPS: you might know where you want to go, but have no idea how you're going to get there or how long it will take (or how many side-quests you might take along the way).

I hate writing, but I love having written.

Attributed to Dorothy Parker but that has been disputed. Doesn't matter. It's true for me and it reminds me to keep going until the wretched thing is done.

Writing is like taking a difficult but ultimately satisfying dump, only to find you're still wiping after ten minutes. And then you run out of bog roll. And then, I dunno, the toilet bowl cracks open, pouring its hideous contents over the bathroom floor and leaking them down into the flat below, whose occupant, once in the SAS but then discharged for anger issues, comes up to "have a word". Like that.

Writing is like writing, writing, writing, delete document, writing, writing, writing, delete document, close program, go out for a walk, start program, writing, writing, writing, delete document, writing, go out to let the neighbours know that they should STOP MAKING NOISE, writing, writing, writing... read back what you just wrote in a frenzy, realise there is a glaring plot-hole... And before you know it the day is over.
Repeat.

Writing is like having a brainstorming meeting with people interested on being there, people wanting to be elsewhere, people that are bored, enthusiastic, annoyed, etc, but all these people are actually different versions of yourself.