Wheel of Time coming November 2021 to Amazon!

svalbard

Supporter
If my memory serves correctly Mat was also extremely lucky at games of chance. It was his gift.

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I have no stake in this, but the small sniggering boy in me loved this bit of review by Hugo Rifkind:

"The more witchy humans are called Channelers and have a skill called "listening to the wind", which leaves me helplessly imagining somebody putting their ear to a bottom. Do this particularly well, worse luck, and you end up "touching the source". Whatever world this is, I suspect they don't have Viz."

(For non-Brits, Viz is an adult comic whose humour relies on childish rudeness.)

svalbard

Supporter
Does anyone pull their braids yet?

Braids get a mention in first episode. I think that is a nod for the book fans. Have to say 2nd episode is an improvement. Rosamund Pike and Daniel Henney, as Morainne and Lan are carrying the show so far.

hitmouse

I watched the first episode and a half. Not impressed. I had forlornly hoped this would be an improvement on the book itself.
Lucy Mangan’s review in The Guardian pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Bagpuss

Shipwrecked & comatose - where's the mango juice?
I was tentatively interested then I read a couple of spoilers, in particular

Perrin now having a dead wife he killed in a rage - a wife we never see no less

In terms of the spoiler (and I'll put this in a spoiler tags) it's not a massive creative change.

Is Perrin a killer? Absolutely he is. Perrin is a killer in the first book. He kills two Whitecloaks and is sentenced by Geofram Bornhald to hang in Amador. He murders the Whitecloaks in a rage after they kill Hopper. In the tv show he kills his wife in an accident in the middle of combat. In either case, Perrin killing someone else informs and influences his character. So, I can see why they kept him killing someone. Equally, I can see why they changed the circumstances of who he killed. And that's possibly going to have implications down the road.

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
In terms of the spoiler (and I'll put this in a spoiler tags) it's not a massive creative change.

Is Perrin a killer? Absolutely he is. Perrin is a killer in the first book. He kills two Whitecloaks and is sentenced by Geofram Bornhald to hang in Amador. He murders the Whitecloaks in a rage after they kill Hopper. In the tv show he kills his wife in an accident in the middle of combat. In either case, Perrin killing someone else informs and influences his character. So, I can see why they kept him killing someone. Equally, I can see why they changed the circumstances of who he killed. And that's possibly going to have implications down the road.

Killing an enemy who's just killed a friend and killing your own wife are miles, miles apart on the trauma hit for such actions. It's about as big a change as possible in this regard.

Moreover, the impact on Perrin isn't the most important part here. It's the completely unnecessary continuation of the use of women, and violence to women, simply as a minor dramatic device in a man's story. It's crass and lazy at very best.

Stephen Palmer

author of novels
Have seen all three episodes.
Not bad, but riddled with cliche (as were the books apparently - haven't read 'em.) e.g. the Standard Fantasy Tavern.
I thought Rosamund Pike and her protector were excellent.
Stunning production values.

therapist

I thought Rosamund Pike and her protector were excellent.
I was pretty excited seeing Rosamund Pike as Moraine. Especially because of her role in Gone Girl. I think the casting is pretty en pointe. Moraine and Lan are both perfect. As are Perrin and Mat. Feels a bit weird that Mat's actor pulled out/ got fired (after s1) not sure what happened there.

Will not be a good show if you dislike standard fantasy troupes, as i'm pretty sure Robert Jordan set out to write a LotR-esque story. For me it's good enough to keep me watching, but not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the first GoT season. Both seem like fair comparisons to me as I watched both after reading the book.