First-time novelist without a clue

Imagine that

Two years into my first novel and the loneliness is killing me. I have been reluctant to share because of my lack of formal training, and a panhandlers protectiveness of my work. I would kill to hear from someone with valid criticism or praise; or even more valuable advice on how to move forward.

Two years into my first novel and the loneliness is killing me. I have been reluctant to share because of my lack of formal training, and a panhandlers protectiveness of my work. I would kill to hear from someone with valid criticism or praise; or even more valuable advice on how to move forward.
Welcome to the forum! You can post parts (up to 1,500 words) of your work here once you achieve 30 posts. People are always keen to read and give constructive criticism.

Although I understand your being reluctant on sharing your writing, I'd insist that you do so asap. Showing your art to someone is like appearing naked in front of an audience that will evaluate every inch of your body. But you must. I mean, your ultimate goal is to be read, right? Better showing your unfinished pieces here beforehand, than paying thousands for a vanity press to print your unpolished work.

Use your new daily habit of cruising the forum to criticize other Chron's (how we call ourselves) work and discuss writing and other medias. You'll learn a lot just by reading and sharing your opinion.

Also, try and give a listen to Writing Excuses. It's a podcast where every episode is around 15 minutes long.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome.
First I'd try doing a few of the 75, 100 and 300 word writing challenges here to see how your work goes down.
The critiques section will be pretty hard because it is not sugar coated. I wouldn't recommend going straight for it.
Check out the 300 challenge that has just finished and get a feel for the range of work we create. It is pretty broad.

Welcome to the forum! You can post parts (up to 1,500 words) of your work here once you achieve 30 posts. People are always keen to read and give constructive criticism.

Although I understand your being reluctant on sharing your writing, I'd insist that you do so asap. Showing your art to someone is like appearing naked in front of an audience that will evaluate every inch of your body. But you must. I mean, your ultimate goal is to be read, right? Better showing your unfinished pieces here beforehand, than paying thousands for a vanity press to print your unpolished work.

Use your new daily habit of cruising the forum to criticize other Chron's (how we call ourselves) work and discuss writing and other medias. You'll learn a lot just by reading and sharing your opinion.

Also, try and give a listen to Writing Excuses. It's a podcast where every episode is around 15 minutes long.

Welcome aboard.
Thanks,

Welcome @Imagine that

There's many here that can and will help. We are all first timers at some point so you're walking a well treaded path. There's lots of writing advice that you can glean from searching this forum and of course you can always ask away! When I started, I had thought I'd be done in a year (kind like the - we'll be home by Christmas - thing you hear when wars start), and it was three times as long before I finally self-published my novel. It was so, because I had so much to learn (and still do), and because there is no replacement for doing (and making mistakes). So IMHO, take advice, yes, but prioritize the writing above all things.

Good luck on your journey!

BG

We learn by doing. Before you attempt to write always, always read. Read a lot. By reading a lot, I learned, with some help from this site, how to write. Oh, btw, welcome aboard the good ship Chrons.

Welcome to the Chrons!

As Alex mentioned, we do have a Critiques forum where members can put up extracts of their work and ask for feedback, but that's only open to members with at least 30 counted posts -- not all posts in all areas of the Chrons count for these purposes -- so it's not yet available to you.

Feedback is essential if you wish to improve as a writer. However, if you're a first time writer and you've not had any feedback before, especially if you've not yet finished the novel, I'd agree with Astro Pen that it might be best not to rush into Critiques immediately you've got your 30 posts. You'll get honest and constructive help, but it will sting, so much so that it might actually put you off writing.

Here's a thread someone else started earlier in the year which goes into more detail When to start asking for feedback and critiques?

Meanwhile, join in with the Writing Challenges as AP suggests. Not only are they fun and will help you bond with other members here, which will in itself alleviate the loneliness of writing, but they are also great for improving one's writing -- it's necessary to be concise, and to use the best possible words not only to tell the story but to generate atmosphere and create characters. And when the Challenges are over it's possible to ask for feedback on your story, which would allow you to dip your toes into the critiquing waters without fearing you'll drown!

Also, spend some time reading through different threads here in Writing Discussion, and respond where appropriate, which will itself give you a sense of belonging and camaraderie you may be missing.

Only two years?
I started up to write seriously in 2000, before that I had some drafts from way back in the 80's and lots of stuff in my head.
I finished the first novel in 2012.
I'm not saying you have a long way to go--what I am saying is that you are probably not as lonely as I was by 2010 when I finally got the wife to read some of the pages and started looking for beta readers.

It would definitely help you just to look at the critique section here to see what everyone's efforts look like and maybe try giving critiques until you have enough posts to post for critique.

Keep writing.

Welcome to the Chrons, @Imagine that! Basically, what others have said.

Relax, this is a great community of readers, and writers, and creatives. Join in. The Challenges are great, but there are other discussions as well, some of which are good for sparking the imagination.

And read the critiques. Often we see something in other people's writing which we then realise we do ourselves.

Only two years?
I started up to write seriously in 2000, before that I had some drafts from way back in the 80's and lots of stuff in my head.
I'm not saying you have a long way to go--what I am saying is that you are probably not as lonely as I was by 2010 when I finally got the wife to read some of the pages and started looking for beta readers.

It would definitely help you just to look at the critique section here to see what everyone's efforts look like and maybe try giving critiques until you have enough posts to post for critique.

Keep writing.
Welcome to the Chrons!

As Alex mentioned, we do have a Critiques forum where members can put up extracts of their work and ask for feedback, but that's only open to members with at least 30 counted posts -- not all posts in all areas of the Chrons count for these purposes -- so it's not yet available to you.

Feedback is essential if you wish to improve as a writer. However, if you're a first time writer and you've not had any feedback before, especially if you've not yet finished the novel, I'd agree with Astro Pen that it might be best not to rush into Critiques immediately you've got your 30 posts. You'll get honest and constructive help, but it will sting, so much so that it might actually put you off writing.

Here's a thread someone else started earlier in the year which goes into more detail When to start asking for feedback and critiques?

Meanwhile, join in with the Writing Challenges as AP suggests. Not only are they fun and will help you bond with other members here, which will in itself alleviate the loneliness of writing, but they are also great for improving one's writing -- it's necessary to be concise, and to use the best possible words not only to tell the story but to generate atmosphere and create characters. And when the Challenges are over it's possible to ask for feedback on your story, which would allow you to dip your toes into the critiquing waters without fearing you'll drown!

Also, spend some time reading through different threads here in Writing Discussion, and respond where appropriate, which will itself give you a sense of belonging and camaraderie you may be missing.
My wife prefers law review articles and thus far is my only critic -- so, I've gown use to rave reviews on my work (She is very kind). I will definitely take your advise and take advantage of the calm waters before jumping in deep. Thanks,

Only two years?

Keep writing.
Thanks for the encouragement. It took a lot for me take my writing seriously. I am a forty-five-year-old father of six, who chose a career in welding after high school. I have always enjoyed writing, but never found the time to enroll for formal training.
I dabbled in poetry and song writing, but found my love for literature in Free Masonry, reading and learning the old lectures, and rites of passage; a truly transformative experience for me.

I'm eager to join this community and see where I stand as a writer in the eyes of those who write -- but more importantly grow as a writer. So far, I am enjoying the atmosphere on this forum, and really look forward to future correspondence with everyone here.
Again thanks,

Welcome. You'll find a lot of us here are in the same situation -- trying to figure out this whole writing thing. This is a great site to overcome the feeling of loneliness and you'll find a diverse set of interests that might click with you. The various writing challenges have already been mentioned, so I'll suggest reading the Critiques guidelines and trying your hand at providing some brief critiques of your own. Be sure to focus on both the positive and the negative; we want to both help and encourage. Reviewing other people's writing helps one be able to reviewing one's own writing in a more objective manner. Welcome, and best of luck with your novels.

Took up writing two years ago (and heading for the half century on Earth too), for what it's worth I found joining up with a writing group a game changer -it normalized writing, and it was great to see how others went about their work. It can be hard to get someone to look at your work (and as for sci-fi, horseman pass by) but someone else's eye always spots the stuff I just don't notice (bad and good). The only downside is you'll probably be the only one banging on about SF.
Good luck and enjoy