Analog Reader Forums - 1990s

DeltaV

I noticed that the 1996 issues I am presently reading advertise an Analog reader forum on old Compuserve. Several article authors have also invited feedback there. When did Analog stop having a forum? I don't recall ever seeing one, at least not at their website. Was the Compuserve forum popular?

Aye, Kiddo... gather 'round the campfire and pour me a tall glass of whiskey. I gots stories and stories about the freewheelin' days of the Asimov's and Analog Forums.

Back in elder days when Asimov's and ANALOG where published by Penny Press and the Devil had yet to invented the internet troll; the publishers, themselves hosted the sister forums.

I discovered them '95 ish. It was nice to be able to interact with many of the contributing authors.

What made the Asimov's forum extra special was that Gardner Dozois, editor, was a daily presence and a very personable and fun guy. An Encyclopedia of SF&F history and arcana. We all had pretty freewheeling conversations about anything and everything.

ANALOG, predictably was a more staid venue, needing no moderation. Asimov's, moderated only by Gardner was quite lively.

The political trolls moved in, some years later; but were somewhat tolerable, relegated to their own "Basement" subforum.

When Dell took over the publishing of the magazines and oversight of the forae; they instituted absolutely clueless, overbearing and ineffectual attempts at moderation; pissed everybody off and the whole shitteree went down in flames... oh, about '08, '09?

Oh, well. It was never the same after Gardner retired, anyway. (Sheila Williams was only heard from for general announcements and Stanley Scmhidt never participated)