Heinlein popularity

I think since Heinlein has passed his popularity among younger readers has waned somewhat. Growing up I always looked forward to seeing his books appear on the shelves. Now, apart from Starship Troopers, I rarely see his titles readily available. I think Heinlein is discovered a little later stage now.

That would change if more of his work was adapted and well received.

Purely on anecdote (and not finding his works in Amazon best selling lists) I would say no. At least here in the UK. I came across one Heinlein 'fan' (or at least she had one of his books. so perhaps that's a bit strong calling her a fan) in the time period 1980-2010. However in 2011 I found Chrons and a lot more of his fans. :)

Thanks.
What is Chrons? (Edit - never mind, that was a dumb question )
BTW, I think Edinburgh is the most beautiful city on Earth.

Vince, what sort of adaptations would you suggest?
Graphic Novels?
Other?

Films and television. The Future History could be a mix of the two a la Marvel Universe.

If I was to suggest a single book to adapt and do it well I would say The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

TMIAHM is my favorite book, and Predestination is a really good movie.
Unfortunately, my Board doesn't own the rights to either copyright, and for those we do own, movie and TV proposals come to us rather than the other way round, so no control over that.
Other venues might be worth actively pursuing.

I just discovered these:

Robert Heinlein SST. 1&2 of 3

I am still watching the 1st one. It may be more about Heinlein than SST but that is necessary to explain SST.

I would have preferred reading and discussing any number of Heinlein books in high school than what I got.

Fahrenheit 451
The Scarlet Letter
Mayor of Casterbridge

Young readers probably never heard of him.

We need to smack them.

When are they supposed to come up with the money to put men on the Moon again?

Last edited:
Some Heinlein works *really* show their age when it comes to socio-political aspects. The gender roles and characterizations in “Stranger in a Strange Land,” the lampooned fascist bent of “Starship Troopers.” And even the premise of “Farnham’s Freehold” is something a lot of readers would rather not engage with.

I can’t see him having any real renaissance in this century, unless in heavily altered adaptation.

21195A98-1E80-4CCC-B995-9E926F7FFE04.jpeg

Assuming this whole thing is not just a joke, if someone sent me a tick-box letter like that I'd dismiss them as a smart-arse.
If you were a Heinlein fan who wrote to him and got that reply, you would dismiss Heinlein as a smart arse?

If every fan wanted “only five minutes” of his time, it’d only take 500 fans per week to make those five minutes all add up to a full time thing.

I read that in grammar school. It was not my first SF book but I am fairly sure it was my first Heinlein. I have been surprised that it has been mentioned so little by SF fans but I chalked it up to my impressionable early read.

Never saw anybody call it a masterpiece before.

I think there's a difference between 'forgotten' and 'not as well-known as some other books by the same author'.
My copy is the 1977 Panther edition - it cost me all of 50p, because that's how much a book was 47 years ago...

oots.jpg

I believe I read everyone of Heinlein's books in my school and small town library as a young teen. I never read that one and now I wonder if the the problems the video puts out there maybe a reason why the weren't in those libraries (of course I could have just missed it.).

Back