Looking for book about the next stage of human evolution.

tony57

I'm pretty sure the author was female.
I read them (there were three in the series I think) in the early 2000s.
There was a lot of genetic researcher jargon. Some of the story involved experimenting on chimps in a lab environment.
The post humans were born when a human female gave birth to a "container organism" Which then gave birth to the new species.
The species looked like humans, except they had a gland behind their ears, I thiink, that emitted pheromones when they were in fear of humans that made them calm down, and in other instances. Humans and government feared them, and captured many of them and kept them in compounds. The protagonist and some of her colleagues were working inside and outside official channels to get the government to leave them alone.
There was a hidden history of past incidents where these new species were born then killed by ignorant villagers. One finding was two adults and an infant in a frozen cave, speculated that they died hiding from ignorant humans trying to kill the infant.

The female protagonist gave birth to one of this species toward the end of the second book, and the third book she was a grandmother.

I was a good series and I want my granddaughter to read it.

Thanks ahead of time.

By the way, My favorite books were the Asimov foundation series.

There was a hidden history of past incidents where these new species were born then killed by ignorant villagers. One finding was two adults and an infant in a frozen cave, speculated that they died hiding from ignorant humans trying to kill the infant
This makes me think of Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear...it had a sequel

I thought that,at first but Darwin's radio was pretty specific in how we evolve next and it's not in the description.

Might be Dawn by Octavia Butler. Read it for my book club... hated it.