The Lord of the Rings - Second Age - Amazon Prime

I think why they're quite proud to release that is apparently none of it is CGI, it's all a proper thing that they set up and filmed.

Peter Jackson may have set the standard when it comes to depicting Middle Earth...
I'll give you that: shame about the storyline he chose to film. I do hope Amazon will follow the Silmarillion story better than Jackson did LotR.

I found the voice-over (a badly done mimic of Galadriel's voice in the LotR movies) trying to cast some ominous sauce over the trailer a downer. Even the score is reminiscent of the movies.
Peter Jackson may have set the standard when it comes to depicting Middle Earth, but if Amazon is going to try to copy that, I fear it might cause some serious indigestion.

The expectations for his series are as huge as the budget.

Agh, why did they have her say "Mordor" like that, just because Tolkien did? I'm embarrassed for them.

That may guarantee some splendid visuals, but promises nothing about the script, acting or overall vibe of the end product.

For the money they are spending , the writing and acting had better be good.

I suppose the idea was to raise conversation on the subject, and it seems to have served it's purpose.

It looks very much to be in the mould of the movies, so I would expect visuals, music - and deviations from the original script - to follow.

I have to admit that it has whet my appetite!

Excited but nervous.. hope they do a good job. And yeah it definitely needs to feel like the movies and as if PJ was behind it even when he's not.

So..is it the Silmarillion?
It's supposed to be the Second Age. Which means they'll possibly use the part of the Silmarillion called the Akallabeth, The Downfall of Numenor, some of the part called Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age and as much of the relevant appendices from LOTR as they feel like using, I would guess.

In other words, they're giving themselves lots of room to make stuff up and create any characters they like.
After all, who really knows enough about Elendil or Celebrimbor to say they got it wrong. And I'll bet they have fun inventing some Entwives etc.

Now that we know the title of Amazon’s Lord of the Rings TV series and we’ve seen a teaser, we know a tiny bit more regarding what the series is all about. That teaser dropped some pretty heavy hints about what we’re likely to see on screen, so follow us for a deep dive into the back matter from The Lord of the Rings to find out more…

First off, here’s what we know for sure. The series is set during the Second Age of Arda (Tolkien’s imaginary world, which we tend to call “Middle-earth”, but technically that only covers the main continent, which is meant to be a very early version of our Earth anyway. But I digress). The Second Age starts with the founding of the Elf capital Lindon and the Grey Havens (the port the Elves sail away from at the end of The Return of the King) and ends with the battle seen at the opening of Peter Jackson’s The Fellowship of the Ring, in which the Last Alliance of Men and Elves defeat Sauron, and Aragorn’s ancestor Isildur takes the One Ring.

It's supposed to be the Second Age. Which means they'll possibly use the part of the Silmarillion called the Akallabeth, The Downfall of Numenor, some of the part called Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age and as much of the relevant appendices from LOTR as they feel like using, I would guess.

In other words, they're giving themselves lots of room to make stuff up and create any characters they like.
After all, who really knows enough about Elendil or Celebrimbor to say they got it wrong. And I'll bet they have fun inventing some Entwives etc.
I've yet to read Silmarillion, hoping to read it soon...

I'm with Baylor. I need to see more trailers (and maybe other sources of info).Right now I can't say that I have expectations either high or low.

According to that great source for everything (It's Wikipedia, so it has to be right, right?)
the Tolkien Estate originally only solt rights to the LOTR, so any use of material only in the Simarillion was not covered. They also retained some veto rights. But when they saw the quality of the production they did allow use of some material that was specific to the Sim---.
I think that the 250 million $$ that Amazon paid for the rights might have had something to do with the estate's generosity.

According to that great source for everything (It's Wikipedia, so it has to be right, right?)
the Tolkien Estate originally only solt rights to the LOTR, so any use of material only in the Simarillion was not covered. They also retained some veto rights. But when they saw the quality of the production they did allow use of some material that was specific to the Sim---.
I think that the 250 million $$ that Amazon paid for the rights might have had something to do with the estate's generosity.

So , what type of series are we likely to get? :(

Bezos can buy quality in terms of writers, directors, producers, actors, show runners, cinematography, dramatic locations, evocative staging - - -I could go on.
He can buy publicity, prime time broadcasting, tapping fan interest, media interest, actor and production personnel interviews, - - - anything that will get the product out there. To pump up the jams.
It is of course impossible to predict whether this will predict quality. It is possible to throw lots of money and expensive and quality components down a rat hole. But so far they seem to be on the side of using big budgets intelligently. They haven't pissed off the keepers of the flame: the Tolkien Trust or media which takes the Tolkien legacy seriously. Release is still months away, so there is still time for such a huge product to hit an iceberg.
The very fact of using money at the billion level does piss off some, including me.
Comparing with GOT, which was reportedly what Bezos ordered that they equal, they spent 1.5 billion over 8 seasons.
So, what to expect? Quality cast, staging, huge production support. I am cynical about money spent, however what have they done ( using big $$$) wrong?