(Found)when I was younger (I forget how young) i loved this book.. help me find it please!

ikunat33

Science fiction fantasy
So, I read this a few times and then my mom cleaned out my room and I was never able to find it again.. Very long time ago.
What I DO remember about the book is that the term BEM (bug eyed monster) was used repeatedly. I also remember the main protagonist in the book was trying to come to terms with being reduced to a liquid to travel through a singularity as liquids do not compress...

This is literally all I remember other than the feelings of wonder and excitement I felt as a devoured that book page after page after page...

I know it is not a lot to go on but I am hoping someone knows the book.

Hmm, I'll take a swing. Could it be Starship Troopers??? I haven't read it in decades so I might be off.

I will be so embarrassed if i forgot something from a R.H book... will check and get back to you.

Nope. Searched the entire text of that book and not even one mention of BEM or B.E.M or bug eyed monster

From the Wikipedia entry on Star Rangers by Andre Norton....

"Living among the humans are several kinds of aliens. For example, there are the 'Bemmies', whose name comes from BEM (short for Bug Eyed Monster)"

However there's no mention of being reduced to liquid

From the Wikipedia entry on Star Rangers by Andre Norton....

"Living among the humans are several kinds of aliens. For example, there are the 'Bemmies', whose name comes from BEM (short for Bug Eyed Monster)"

However there's no mention of being reduced to liquid

Thanks Danny but that is not it either.
I have remembered something else about the book now though; there is some kind of universal consciousness that manifests throughout the novel.
The consciousness manifests as a kind of sentient light to painlessly break down the bodies of the travellers before jumping through space.
At the beginning of the novel the protagonist is unaware of this consciousness but as the novel progresses the protagonist begins to suspect.

Wish I had remembered that for when I first posted.

Maybe this series has what you're looking for. Plenty of good authors at least.

Bug-Eyed Monsters
Want to Read

Rate this book
1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars

Bug-Eyed Monsters​

by
Bill Pronzini (Editor, Contributo),

Barry N. Malzberg (Editor, Contributo),

Poul Anderson (Contributor),

Donald A. Wollheim (Contributor),

Edward D. Hoch (Contributor),

A.E. van Vogt (Contributor),

C.M. Kornbluth (Contributor),

Isaac Asimov (Contributor),
more…
3.86 · Rating details · 29 ratings · 4 reviews
CONTENTS:

Stranger Station / Damon Knight
Talent / Robert Bloch
The Other Kids / R.F. Young
The Miracle of the Lily / C.W. Harris
The Bug-Eyed Musicians / Laurence M. Janifer
Puppet Show / Frederic Brown
Portfolio (cartoons) / Gahan Wilson
Wherever you are / Poul Anderson
Mimic / D.A. Wollheim
The Faceless Thing / Edward D. Hoch
The Rull / A.E. Van Vogt
Friend to Man / C.M. Kornbluth
T ...more

Don't remember bug eyed monsters however...
Macroscope by Piers Anthony does have the reduction to liquid for interstellar flight.
And a higher intelligence behind it all.
I was going to mention Macroscope as well, but I never clicked on "Post Reply."

You've got to keep sharp watch out for the stobor
love that book.. one of the first books I read after the Narnia series, which was my first, then immediately moved on to Time Enough for Love, then
Methuselahs children.. etc.. none of them are it.

TinkerDan for the win!!!

Thanks so much! I loved Xanth, Incarnations of Imoratailty, Apprentice Adept series... I forgot about that one.

Thanks TinkerDan!!