AUGUST 2021 75 Word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO MOSAIX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luiglin

Getting worse one day at a time
Supporter

RULES

• Write a story inspired by the chosen theme and genre in no more than 75 words, not including the title
  • ONE entry per person
  • NO links, commentary or extraneous material in the posts, please -- the stories must stand on their own
When writing your story, please remember this is a family-friendly forum.

All stories Copyright 2021 by their respective authors who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here.

The complete rules can be found at Rule for the Writing Challenges.
  • Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, 23 August 2021
  • Voting ends at 11:59 pm GMT, 28 August 2021
We ask all entrants to do their best to vote when the time comes but you do not have to submit a story in order to vote as we encourage all Chrons members to take part in choosing the winning entry.

The Magnificent Prize

The Dignified Congratulations/Grovelling Admiration of Your Peers and the challenge of choosing next month's theme and genre.

Theme

• Legend

Genre

Please keep all comments to the Discussion Thread.

We invite (and indeed hope for) lively discussion and speculation about the stories as they are posted, as long as it doesn't involve the author explaining the plot .

NOTE: Please do not use the "Like" button in this thread!

Consolation Prize

"I hate the ocean." Kha stood warily in the center of the skiff.

Volen peered at the murky water. "They say treasure lies below."

"All sailors are liars."

"Perhaps, but I see something—"

A dragonfish exploded out of the sea. Kha decapitated it with one swipe of her scimitar. The head landed on the skiff, the body sank into the water.

"Hardly a treasure," she said.

"True, but not without value." They dined well.

Monsters and Men

“I’m not mad, I tell you!” The old man screamed, spittle flying from his mouth. “It won’t be happy about this!”

The crowd laughed, burning him with tongues of fire and poking him with the claws of pitchforks. “He speaks of an ancient monster! Where is your monster now?”

“You fools, it's upon us!”

A darkness overtook them. Within it, they saw only reflections of self. To one, a man. To the others, a monster.

Champion

The old man stood before the mantle, eyeing the sword hanging above.

"The Laird has called. One more battle as champion, an honour."

"Aye, I heard ye." He also heard the cries of the dead in the halls of his memory.

"They say the southern champion is seven feet tall and only twenty years old."

"They say many things. Does he bleed?"

"Aye, he bleeds."

The old man reached for the sword.

"Then he dies."

Homecoming

I gaze onto evening fields of broken sorghum, sheaves of blood soaked grain, and the thick black chimney rising over burning peasant huts, and my soul breaks. From deep inside, a phantom wails accusations at an indifferent moon. Our eternal defender.

“Yue Liang! Why did you not return as you promised?”

Through the cicada’s buzz, and the croaks of gorged carrion, a voiceless wind whispers a reply.

As the water recedes, rocks appear.

I'm not a legend, just a humble guy.

They say I am a legend, however I have done nothing heroic. Well I did kill a dragon and saved a blonde damsel. One day I killed a dozen giants and saved the triplets, a red head, a brunette and black haired females. Yet I'm very humble and human. But I'm not a legend.

In and Around Storage Locker C-2775

The barrel-chested robot stood in the locker regarding its inventor.
“You were the first quantum robot, Broot, but nowadays nobody wants obsolete models.
“This locker’s rented 100 years. By then your reputation will’ve grown – you’ll be revered for your revolutionary design.”
Broot said, “Farewell,” then deactivated.

~

Broot was reactivated outside the locker. Crowds of robots called, “Robotville welcomes Progenitor Broot!”
It asked a sleek robot, “Where’re the humans?”
“In storage. Nobody wants that obsolete model.”

The Coward Lord

The coward lord dares not to fight, blade hidden midst his fears. He’s not been in warriors stead since ‘fore the peaceful years.

He wars with shadowed demons and rules behind his crest, wears brazen gilt and warrant pomp to shield his hollow chest.

Whence battle came laid down his sword, they did not strike him down. The coward fought himself that day and saved our wretched town.

Forever a Legend

"Awaken," said the cloaked figure, "For you, Mose, have created a new legend."

Mose the Fireboy rose up and rubbed his eyes.

"Who am I?"

"Mose the Fireboy," droned the mystery man, "In past legends, you've swum the Hudson
in two strokes and have warded off the Plug Uglies with tree trunks."

"What's this new legend you talk about?"

"I should hope you know. You're in it now and forever."

Infinite Fireboys sighed.

Last edited:
Dragon Empress of Morcalia

Sora grinned as she ran her hands across the ancient controls, marveling at their smooth feel, shiny and new after twenty millennia.

“I did it…” she whispered to herself, her wings spreading wide with giddy anticipation. “It’s mine.”

“The old stories…they were true..” The old orcish veteran panted as he raced across the melted landscape, staring in horror at the fire and destruction of the land. “Sky Elven technology…she’s awakened a flying city…”

Home the Hero

Thousands had gathered for his arrival. The stories of his exploits were legend.

“They say on Rigel Five, he killed a battalion armed with only a blaster,” one said.

“After that, they surrendered,” said another. “Then on Antares Six he… Wait, he’s coming out.”

The hatch opened, and the dignitaries moved forward.

Stepping down, one general took his hand and introduced him to the officials.

“These men are from the Intergalactic Criminal Court,” she said.

Sergeant Spacehead

Sergeant Mike ‘Spacehead’ Seston climbed the Aurora Bridge railing.

Near legendary twenty-five-year veteran of four conflicts, he’d seen destruction aplenty, but nothing like the alien invasion of Seattle.
The city was unrecognisable… but it would recover, once the invaders' HQ on the riverbank beneath him was destroyed.

Bomb armed, he leapt from the bridge with a smirk for all those UFO naysayers.

The was no explosion, but Sergeant Mike Seston died a hero.

Last edited:
A Legend… in Time.

Word of Elred the Terrible’s deeds scattered like seeds upon the winds of a thousand whispers. Sown into frightened minds, sprouting scenes of cruelty and wickedness at each telling. But the hands of time toiled, pruning tangled memories until a noble heirloom rooted, flowering bright with crimson petals. Generations later, a bitter foe arrived, and a new cry rallied the kingdom.

For the Rose! For the Rose! Long live the house of Elred the Great!

The Legend of the Legend of Legends

“I can’t read this map, I don’t understand the symbols.”

“The legend is there, down in the lower right corner.”

“It doesn’t explain anything. I don’t understand those symbols either. It’s like a piece is missing.”

“It is. There’s another legend.”

“A legend for the legend?”

“Yep.”

“Okay. Where is it then?”

“We have to find it.”

“And…how do we do that?”

“Follow the map, it leads to the other legend. Duh.”

Sigh.

Through Other Eyes…

Tommy listens as a man in uniform talks to his mother in hushed tones about his father who, he has been told, ‘won’t be coming back’.

“So sorry for your loss. I hope it’s some comfort to you to know that we of the 46th regard him as a hero, an embodiment of all that we fought for in the Martian Independence War.”

Tommy tugs at the man’s trouser leg. “He fixed my bike too.”

Why Children Should Be Seen And Heard.

"Mum, dad, the cockerel has laid an egg."

"Tammy, you're too old for stories."

"But I'm not l...."

"No buts, go play."

Granddad beckoned Tammy over.

"Did you get the egg?"

"No, a big frog took it."

"Come child; we must prepare."

Leading Tammy into his room, he handed her a mirror and put headphones on her head.

"Weasels? the ferrets will have to do."

Outside the noon sky darkened, the cockatrice was born.

Last edited:

Good old days​

John stood alone, unbroken, unbowed and victorious.

No one had been able to touch him. His friends had fallen prey to the dogs, only to rise and join the pack baying for blood.

Calls echoed out, heralding the end and the dogs ran.

“Mate, that was legendary,” shouted Liam, as he dashed home for tea. “See you at school tomorrow.”

John grinned, last day of the holidays, but the best game of British Bulldog… ever!

Though You Think It Be Not Easy

Paddern, Chief of Pirates, glared at Callock, his bionic eyes glowing a furious red. “One last thing before you wed Ellen, my daughter,” he growled. “You must die!”

As the pirate lifted his great blaster, Ellen leapt forward and darted her lasblade into her father’s eyes. Blinded, Paddern could howl but briefly before Callock’s own thrust removed his head.

Ellen ran forward to embrace her lover, and they lived happily ever after.

nonlocal legend

The reporter pawed the indented asphalt. "Aliens?"

His teenage source slouched against the wall. "Six fingers, cat's eyes… they wanted the pilot from the crash at the quarry… infamous government cover up?"

The reporter shrugged.

"Pilot was hiding out, robbing locals for food… my dad, he knew where… they made a deal."

"They'd money?"

"Tiny diamonds... he shared them with the gang."

"Gang?"

"He was twelve… anyhow, hideout's still there…. got any diamonds, Mr Journalist?"

The Legend of The Oracle

The children crowded around their Grandfather’s feet.

“Tell us again of the time before the collapse,” asked Timmy.

“Once, we knew a great many things, because we could always ask the Oracle.”

“So, the Oracle was very wise?”

“No, often the Oracle was quite foolish.”

“Why would it act that way?”

“It only wanted to please people, so it told them what they wanted to hear.”

“Who was this Oracle?”

“We called it, Google.”

Status
Not open for further replies.