I have gone off reading violent thrillers or books where suspense is too high.

Searching the Internet I have found many biographies to read. I think non fiction will be the key for my project. Once again thank you.
Please continue to add other authors. Occasionally I may need a fiction fix.

I have started by reading Word Perfect, by Susie Dent.
It has a word a day for a year. I'm a bit behind as I am only in January.

I was going to suggest Becky Chambers. She's one of my favourite writers. Her fiction is not without conflict, and there are some moments of suspense, but the books tend to be much more positive, and there is very little open violence.
There are some pretty grim situations, especially in "A Closed and Common Orbit," but the general life-affirming attitude in her books is the best remedy for grimdark overdose I've ever encountered. I can heartily recommend "Record of a Spaceborn Few" in particular.

Becky Chambers does seem to be one of those Marmite authors- everyone I've spoken to either adores her books or loathes them, not much in between.

Biographies tend to depress me, because so often the book continues telling the story of the subject right up to the end, when they die, often after spending their final years in unhappy circumstances (poor, neglected, unappreciated, etc.). And also because, if they lived in "interesting times" we generally have to watch a lot of people they care about die first. So I have stopped reading those, at least for the time being, after reading several in a row a few years ago and deciding I was depressed enough without.

Autobiographies, are not so grim, because at least the subject/author is still alive at the end. Sometimes such books are rather uplifting, because they are written at a period when the subject has triumphed over adversity.

I cannot really explain why, other than they raise my blood pressure and make me angry. And most of my life I have had anger issues, it is only recently that I have tied the two together. So over the next few months or longer I am going to try an experiment of reading lighter reads.

This is where I can use some help of finding science fiction or fantasy or any other genre, books that don't contain violence nor where the suspense is too great.

I'm going to trawl some of the classics Dickens, Hardy etc.

Thank you in advance for any help received.
Jodi Taylor is your friend

Robert Rankin has written some good, quirky and humorous stuff, also the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde are worth a look.

It looks like I have settled into non fiction, especially history. The wars of the roses, the English civil war and a Horatio Nelson biography. Thank you for the help, I also hope to read some Trollope.

It looks like I have settled into non fiction, especially history. The wars of the roses, the English civil war and a Horatio Nelson biography. Thank you for the help, I also hope to read some Trollope.

Under non fiction I recommend The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah. Arendt. :cool: