I have gone off reading violent thrillers or books where suspense is too high.

soulsinging

the dude abides
It gets downright vicious towards the end.
If by vicious you mean Bambi/Old Yeller style innocence-shattering pathos... spot on.

I can't do violence anymore. I used to love a good American gangster movie, or some Joe Abercrombie or tooth-splitting James Ellroy, but I can't stomach it anymore. I've especially had enough of genocidal superpowers, be it from the Man of Steel, Kuang's Poppy War, or Jemisin's Broken Earth. It's violence p**n.

I find myself seeking out more stories of people overcoming the easy desire for destruction in favor of the more difficult desire for building. I see it in (the original) Star Wars, Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower, The Color Purple, Tad Williams MS&T.

Tearing things down is easy and boring, despite the visceral adrenal thrill. Putting things together... that's a challenge worth embracing.

And if you don't want suspense. Tad is your man. His stories take their tiiiiiime...

Ian Fortytwo

One day at a time.
Supporter
I have been experimenting with different authors John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway. I have also got Sir Walter Scott's journals to look forward to as well.
Another author I'm looking into is Thomas Merton, he wrote The Seven Storey Mountain.

I'm also studying Haiku poems.

tobl

dimension jumping portal required
I have been experimenting with different authors John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway. I have also got Sir Walter Scott's journals to look forward to as well.
Another author I'm looking into is Thomas Merton, he wrote The Seven Storey Mountain.

I'm also studying Haiku poems.
haiku? my condolenses :) or are you planning seppuku?

AnyaKimlin

Confuddled
If you can get hold of any Robert Neill - his tales of witchcraft aren't the most tense thrillers but they're really vivid, warm and beautiful to read. Sadly The Mist Over Pendle (and a modern edit at that) is the only one that's currently in print but others do come up. He's by far my favourite ever writer.

AnyaKimlin

Confuddled
Thrillers are still not on my radar. And my anger is so much more controllable. Biographies seem to be popular with me.

If you want something unfailingly positive then look at Jane Yeadon - tales of Nursing in the Sixties and on a Highland Farm. Her work is realistic about hardships but has a great outlook on life.