Units of Measurement

It's gotta be some journalist interviewing an astronomer, but he can't mentally envisage a size.
"So how big is it again Prof?"
*Sigh* "Do you know how big a giraffe is?"
"Er - not quite sure Prof, is one bigger than a car?"
*Sigh again* "Ok, how about a pug dog? Or Taylor Swift?"

instead of necroing an old thread...

If if read a futuristic sci-fi and the author uses imperial
--if the story was wrote in the 90s or later, I assume the author doesn't know much science. Probably an unfair assumption, yet one that happens nonetheless. It is a stumbling block and if I were to hit another one or two blocks right off, I would discard the book.
Basically if the story involves off Earth by human tech it should be metric imo. Science uses metric, NASA uses metric, imperial causes rockets to get lost. It requires me to suspend my disbelief when I encounter imperial here. (of course some authors produce their own units with great success)

If it was steam punk in the USA I would expect imperial.
Someone once told me that if you want to focus a story on the impersonal universe, or the coldness of technology, use the Metric system. On the other hand, if you want a story to be about the natural world, personal feelings, or emotions use Imperial instead. Her example was temperature differences: "There are only 20 degrees each between 0°C, 20°C, and 40°C but there is a huge difference in how that feels to people."

My favorite unit of measure is a smoot. If someone claims they're writing hard scifi and uses a different unit of measure, it takes me right out of the narrative.

Last edited:
New, giant tomb discovered in China. Apparently 280 football fields (presumably American football) Equal Three Vatican cities.

"The gigantic burial complex — dubbed Wuwangdun — spans just over 16 million square feet, roughly the size of 280 football fields or triple the size of Vatican City.
Fun fact: American Football fields and Fifa Football pitches are approximately the same size. Close enough to the same for measuring tombs or Vatican Cities.

New, giant tomb discovered in China. Apparently 280 football fields (presumably American football) Equal Three Vatican cities.

"The gigantic burial complex — dubbed Wuwangdun — spans just over 16 million square feet, roughly the size of 280 football fields or triple the size of Vatican City.
And we know that Vatican City is bigger than a Blue Whale

C523E8F9-8552-43BD-92AD-F6642840D003.jpg