Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave in 2022

that can happen when the guy at the top wants to get rid of the show; what better excuse than poor storylines and reduced viewing figures?
My thoughts exactly, and I wonder if that's what we're seeing now :unsure:
The next season is going to see the introduction of a stand-up comedian from Liverpool
The penultimate season of the McCoy era saw the introduction of a stand-up comedian from Liverpool

The plot thickens...

My thoughts exactly, and I wonder if that's what we're seeing now :unsure:
The next season is going to see the introduction of a stand-up comedian from Liverpool
The penultimate season of the McCoy era saw the introduction of a stand-up comedian from Liverpool

The plot thickens...

Back in the 80s, Doctor Who was an institution of the BBC and of tv in general. Apart from soaps, it's difficult to think of any fictional show that has had such a lasting impact on several generations of viewers.

First time around, it was headline news when the Doctor was taken off air, this time around it's likely to have far less of an impact.

And so we will be back to no science fiction shows on any of the mainstream tv channels. :(

Now....

I'm surprised at all this vitriol aimed Who productions of the recent past.

I thought it was well liked and all enjoyed by members of the site.

So much so that in recent years I've tried to show a more positive leaning toward the show.

Dear me, how wrong I've been.

Now....

I'm surprised at all this vitriol aimed Who productions of the recent past.

I thought it was well liked and all enjoyed by members of the site.

So much so that in recent years I've tried to show a more positive leaning toward the show.

Dear me, how wrong I've been.
I've liked it, not brilliant but watchable. If the writers concentrated on entertainment rather than jumping on the woke band wagon then there wouldn't be as many complaints.

Although the new incarnation did give us the weeping angels. I'm just saying that when it worked it worked well. As already pointed out, because of the great scripts. I feel sorry for Jodie that she wasn't in the role when the scripts were (sometimes) great.

I'm sorry to see Jodie go, I always felt like she was the Colin Baker of New Who - a good actor who was never given a chance to shine due to poor writing.
Can anyone think of a story in Chibnal's run that was any good?
I think there were good parts. Rosa was a good story that suffered from a lack lustre villain, Kerblam! was good until the accidental message that terrorism works. Spyfall was fun until it just kinda fizzled out. Stories like It Takes You Away and Can You Hear Me had great ideas that were let down far acing reasons, and I actually enjoyed most of the Timeless Child arc until it ended up not really going anywhere. But I've found that's the frustrating part about Chibnal's writing. He'll do something interesting or bold, but then hold off on really pulling the trigger on it, culminating in changing everything we know about the main character, only for them not to be affected by it.

I'm sorry to see Jodie go, I always felt like she was the Colin Baker of New Who - a good actor who was never given a chance to shine due to poor writing.

New twist ... J.Michael Straczynski has said he'd like to run Doctor Who next.
Now there's a thought.

I also think they ought to re-do/update some of the best Hartnell and Troughton stories that got wiped. There's at least one excellent season in among the remains of that lot, surely.

I think there were good parts. Rosa was a good story that suffered from a lack lustre villain, Kerblam! was good until the accidental message that terrorism works. Spyfall was fun until it just kinda fizzled out. Stories like It Takes You Away and Can You Hear Me had great ideas that were let down far acing reasons, and I actually enjoyed most of the Timeless Child arc until it ended up not really going anywhere. But I've found that's the frustrating part about Chibnal's writing. He'll do something interesting or bold, but then hold off on really pulling the trigger on it, culminating in changing everything we know about the main character, only for them not to be affected by it.

Overall, the stories that Chibnall gave us were not very good and too preachy. They need to hire someone who will bring Dr Who back to the basics.

Last edited:
New twist ... J.Michael Straczynski has said he'd like to run Doctor Who next.
Now there's a thought.

I also think they ought to re-do/update some of the best Hartnell and Troughton stories that got wiped. There's at least one excellent season in among the remains of that lot, surely.

I like JMS and Babylon 5. But, I think he would be a poor fit for a tv show like Dr Who.

After Chibnall and the slow decline of Moffatt, I think someone with JMS's body of work under their belt, could only be a welcome improvement.

Here's an interview with Stephen King's son and successful author in his own write, Joe Hill, about his experience pitching Doctor Who stories. Long story short, the idea of an American Doctor Who writer doesn't go down so well with the BBC.

The BBC needs to change their rather narrow-minded outlook and hire talent where ever they can find it.

Not saying I agree with it, but the BBC’s main funding comes from UK TV License payers (£159 per year for any household that watches live broadcasts, even if they don't watch BBC) and taxpayers. They do have a duty to support British creativity, and there are plenty of British writers who can take on the role.

At a guess, I think they’ll chose to promote a writer who’s already had creative stints with the franchise.

Not saying I agree with it, but the BBC’s main funding comes from UK TV License payers (£159 per year for any household that watches live broadcasts, even if they don't watch BBC) and taxpayers. They do have a duty to support British creativity, and there are plenty of British writers who can take on the role.

At a guess, I think they’ll chose to promote a writer who’s already had creative stints with the franchise.

You're probably right there, although I think the Beeb have an issue with the way they nurture talent, and it's resulted in a house style across all their dramatic productions that is suffering compared to what people have got used to from stuff across the pond on HBO, Netflix etc.

Someone mentioned about the reason for Baker's cancellation being that the commissioners thought it was tired and cheap compared to contemporary content - and I think new Who risks that, too.

I feel like the writing team from Inside Number 9 would work well, personally - and they already have a Mark Gatiss connection.

My interest had waned, happily, before they butchered and retconned the Doctor's character. Disappointed by it but from a distance.

I may well check out the first few episodes of a new Doctor, as I did for Capaldi (who was great and let down by poor writing) and Whittaker (who was less great and also had duff scripts).

And take out the preaching, for god's sake. You've got a TARDIS than can take you anywhere in time and space, stop stuffing shows with contemporary political lecturing. That's the antithesis of escapism and fun.

Can anyone think of a story in Chibnal's run that was any good?
The video I watched critiquing Chibnall's run pulled out The Haunting of Villa Diodati as the best written, and from the clips I saw, I could see why, certainly relating to dialogue and characterisation. It was written by Maxine Alderton, who apparently is being tipped to have a bigger role in future. That might be a very good thing.

It would not surprise me if a BBC favourite Mark Gatiss was brought back to rescue Who, perhaps in conjunction with Steven Moffat.

I think what Doctor who needs now isn't something radically different, but (as has been mentioned above) a 'back to basics' with some strong sci-fi storylines and Doctor with strong screen presence. Could this be the opportunity for Benedict Cumberbatch to step into the role?

One of the main things for the Doctor for me is age - he has to be the fatherly (or motherly), experienced figure guiding his companions through their adventures in space and time. It just doesn't work for me when the companions are older than the Doctor is.

You're probably right there, although I think the Beeb have an issue with the way they nurture talent, and it's resulted in a house style across all their dramatic productions that is suffering compared to what people have got used to from stuff across the pond on HBO, Netflix etc.

Someone mentioned about the reason for Baker's cancellation being that the commissioners thought it was tired and cheap compared to contemporary content - and I think new Who risks that, too.

I feel like the writing team from Inside Number 9 would work well, personally - and they already have a Mark Gatiss connection.

An infusion of first blood from across the pond would greatly benefit the BBC.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brian G Turner Doctor Who 53