Day of the Dead - SyFy's miniseries with George Romero

ctg

weaver of the unseen
3SUb4yJ.jpg

The series will also depart significantly from those classic Romero movies. For instance, it looks like there be a lot more humor. And while the show will feature the classic Romero "slow" zombies, Thomas said that the zombie invasion will not be the result of an outbreak that starts turning everyone into zombies. Rather, it will be a scenario where the dead start coming back to life and eating the residents of the small town in which the story takes place. (In that respect, it resembles the premise of 2019's The Dead Don't Die.) And the zombies cannot be killed as easily by a simple shot to the head, according to Thomas, which should up the stakes even more.

Day of the Dead premieres on SyFy in October 2021. The cast includes Natalie Malaika as Lauren Howell, Keenan Tracey as Cam McDermott, Daniel Doheny as Luke Bowman, Morgan Holmstrom as Sarah Blackwood, Miranda Frigon as Paula Bowman, Deejan Loyola as Jai Fisher, Kristy Dawn Dinsmore as Amy, Christopher Russell as Trey Bowman, Matty Finochio as Bobby Hart, Kevin O'Grady as Rhodes, Lucia Walters as Logan, Stefanie von Pfetten as Cindy, Darryl Scheelar as Magnum, Trezzo Mahoro as Trent, Caitlin Stryker as Nicole, and Marci T. House as Captain Pike. One assumes a few of those cast members will end up as zombie food.

the official logline for the Day of the Dead TV series described it as "the intense story of six strangers trying to survive the first 24 hours of an undead invasion." It was always intended as an ode to Romero, who pretty much pioneered the entire genre. “Night of the Living Dead was in 1968, and we’re still, every time zombies come up, we talk about Romero,” co-showrunner (with Jed Elinoff) Scott Thomas said during the panel. “He established what we know as the modern zombie... and he did it in a way that also added social commentary. Every single zombie movie or TV show or graphic novel owes Romero for his legacy.”

Why do we need another one?

Because of Romero, SyFy is honouring him as the creator of whole thing. If he hadn't done the original movie ages ago, we wouldn't ever had one, because to be honest the dead alone aren't that interesting. Not to the larger audience.

So it's more like a tribute, while he's still living. And to be honest, Romero made many changes to his slow ones over the years. Including making some of them smart.

An ode to George Romero. I never used that word, so apologies for forgetting it.

As they say in the panel, every single zombie thing whether it's on book, comic, TV or Film is bowing to him and SyFy wanted to honour that. And they know that the market is saturated with all things that are living dead. But with Romero there wouldn't be such a huge movement in the Dead culture. Although we haven't seen much of the other kind, or even really explored where the Underworld might lead into.

With Romero it's always been about the zombies. He started it and for a long time all his stuff were features in the film festivals or seen as a treasures between the film geeks. Even I might have featured some of his stuff in smaller showings, for the geeky types.

The whole paranormal horror scene is locked on a few ideas, namely zombies or vampires. And when it comes to first ones, even Kirkman bows to the legend himself, George Romero. When TWD started there were so rumours about Robert getting involved, but he stayed out in the retirement while others explored the scene.

As a horror writer the question of why he didn't explore the other dead interest me, because if you look his film history, you'll see that the shambling monstrosities made it to SF stage. The stuff where Romero shines is the ingenuity that the survivors shows in the bad situation. It is as if they really want to live, instead of succumbing under an advancing horde.

In his invention are the rooftops, bridges, spikes, blunt instruments and the zombie wagons. In some cases they are like moving castles, mobile fortresses. And that is what you'll see in this series, people in a real bad situation doing some of the most amazing things you'll see in your life. In other words it's all pure entertainment that with Romero behind the wheel could threaten the Preacher's position. Just simply because you're guaranteed to see macabre comedy in an absolutely terrifying situations.

That's what I'm looking in this series.

I used to think the same as you, Baylor. I'm not a big fan of Horror movies, so i didn't really pay much attention to the Zombie genre. About 10 years ago, i watched the Dawn of the Dead remake and was pretty impressed. I must confess that i have since become a small fan of the genre and i do quite enjoy the way it keeps getting reinvented.

Nothing too heavy for me, though. I have a preference for the lighter, humourous side of the genre such as Z Nation, Shawn of the Dead, The Dead Don't Die (which was a lot better on a second viewing). Games such as my recently played Days Gone have enabled me to appreciate Zombie's more and more.

I'll watch this eventually.

Reactions: ctg
Because of Romero, SyFy is honouring him as the creator of whole thing. If he hadn't done the original movie ages ago, we wouldn't ever had one, because to be honest the dead alone aren't that interesting. Not to the larger audience.

So it's more like a tribute, while he's still living. And to be honest, Romero made many changes to his slow ones over the years. Including making some of them smart.

Didn't Romero die in 2017?

The producers of the Walking wanted him to direct an episode of the show. He turned them down.

Have any of you ever seen the science fiction film Invisible Invaders 1959 ?