Your Favorite Made-For-TV Movies

Guttersnipe

mortal ally
Thought this belonged more in this forum. What are your favorites? I have mostly only seen horror films on this medium. Of note: I enjoyed the 1990 two-part series adaptation of Stephen King's It than the recent installments, but this is almost entirely due to Tim Curry's involvement. I thought Trilogy of Terror (1975) was a wonderful adaptation of Richard Matheson's work. I like Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) and Gargoyles (1972) for their nostalgic cheesiness. Duel (1971) is a thriller and another Matheson work that I thought was really good.

As much as i adored Babylon 5, i really struggled with their TV movies, with the exception of "In The Beginning", which i thought was awesome.

Perhaps Battlestar Galactica. The original one because i was a kid and it was exciting, the reboot because it was awesome and really impressed me when i first saw it.

I also enjoyed the Childhoods End "mini series".

Big shout out to Columbo, though.

World on a Wire (fassbender '73)
Where Have all the People Gone ('74, though the explanation at the end sucks)
Paper Man ('71, perhaps the first hacker movie?)

For me it was, The Missles of October. I lived through the near panic of the Cuban missile crisis, and this movie really hit the mark.
No doubt, there are many more that have slipped through the cracks of time. I look forward to people jogging my memory.

Threads is the most horrendous depiction of a nuclear strike on a city. Likely it would have struggled to get a cinematic release, but brilliantly realised it's message of the futility of nuclear war.

The two-parter of The Stand was very well done, and although the ending sucks a little, it's unlikely to be bettered.

Horror at 37, 000 1973 . This film had great cast . In places it's bonkers and silly but, overall, it's a good and very entertaining film.:cool:

Threads is the most horrendous depiction of a nuclear strike on a city. Likely it would have struggled to get a cinematic release, but brilliantly realised it's message of the futility of nuclear war.

The two-parter of The Stand was very well done, and although the ending sucks a little, it's unlikely to be bettered.

I seen Threads , well done , very realistic and very grim. :(

It had a great cast. Jamie Sheridan stole the show s Randall Flagg . Yes , The ending was weak but overall , tis quite good. :cool:

Truly Madly Deeply

This out at the same time as Ghost, which was a massive hit starring Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze.
TMD has a similar premise but much more charm and humour, with Alan Rickman as a slightly grumpy and dishevelled ghost, and Juliette Stephenson as his grieving widow.

As much as i adored Babylon 5, i really struggled with their TV movies, with the exception of "In The Beginning", which i thought was awesome.

Perhaps Battlestar Galactica. The original one because i was a kid and it was exciting, the reboot because it was awesome and really impressed me when i first saw it.

I also enjoyed the Childhoods End "mini series".

Big shout out to Columbo, though.

Most of the B5 were not quite up to the Series . In the Beginning certain was and so was Thirdspace which was very dark , nasty and Lovecraftain.:cool:

I like the origin Battlestar Galactica pilot film , it was like Star Wars for the television . The series itself , didn't just live up to pilot . Glen Larson could have done alot better than he did with the rest of the series. The New Galactica is amazing ! :cool:

Childhoods End was a superb adaption for Arthur C. Clarks novel .:cool:

V the 1983 Miniseries . Seemingly friendly aliens who not what they seem. This one is ver y well done for a tv science fiction program of it era.

Kolchak The Night Stalker 1972 telefilm
Kolchak The Night Strangler 1973 telefilm

I hate to admit it but the Christmas movies that appear on channels like Hallmark [or Sony Christmas in the UK]. they are almost universally mawkish, polite and heart warming, but I can't help liking them. One of the better ones is The Road To Christmas [with Clark Greg].
Also [and I'm really baring my soul here] the Signed, Sealed, Delivered TVMs. They are awful but I can't tear myself away from them...

The Night Stalker/Strangler
Salem's Lot
Duel
Gargoyles
Killdozer!
Trilogy of Terror (for one episode)
Curse of the Black Widow
An Evening of Edgar Allen Poe
Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell

Others:

The Love War
Savages
Brotherhood of the Bell
Trapped (man locked in department store with vicious guard dogs)
The Great Ice Rip-Off
Revenge
Five Desperate Women
Dying Room Only
Scream of the Wolf
Black Noon
Goodnight My Love
Visions (probably inspired the Dead Zone)
A Cold Night's Death
Haunts of the Very Rich
Snatched
Outrage
The Death Squad
The Strange and Deadly Occurrence

The Cat Creature. 1973 with David Hedison and Meredith Baxter

The Bermuda Depths 1978 with Connie Sellecca and Burr Ive and Carl Weathers, Light McClosky . A Wwoman cursed to Immorality whose gaze bring doom to men and a giant Sea Turtle which does he bird and you man who loves her without really understand who and what she is .

This film still holds up pretty well. :cool:

Back