Impressive Classic SF Libraries

Bick

Luddite Curmudgeon
Supporter
Not sure what will end up on this thread - please post any impressive libraries you see, or especially what you own, as that would interest me - but I saw the picture below on a book traders website and thought I'd post it somewhere here, because, well... wow. This is a complete set of Gnome Press HB first editions from 1948 to 1961. It is apparently a personal library someone spent years gathering together. I won't point any titles out specifically, as it's fun to go though it, but there must be well over $100k worth of books here! I would probably trade a limb for this collection...

1626387967957.png

Not sure what will end up on this thread - please post any impressive libraries you see, or especially what you own, as that would interest me - but I saw the picture below on a book traders website and thought I'd post it somewhere here, because, well... wow. This is a complete set of Gnome Press HB first editions from 1948 to 1961. It is apparently a personal library someone spent years gathering together. I won't point any titles out specifically, as it's fun to go though it, but there must be well over $100k worth of books here! I would probably trade a limb for this collection...

View attachment 80137

That a very impressive collection and superb editions .

Thanks for sending that photo, Bick.

It would be fun to see photos from Chronsters of their books or some of them. I'll post most of mine, but y'all will not be impressed!

Last edited:
OK... NOT an impressive sf library, but mine own. Here's most of it in pictures. First, a clutch of Ace books, & most of my Galaxy issues.
Ace and Galaxy.JPG

Some classic anthologies and books by Heinlein, most of which I haven't read. As with a lot of my sf, nearly all of the Heinleins were given to me. Here too are several books about sf fandom.
classic anthols & Heinlein.JPG

Last edited:
Here's most of the fantasy that's not by George MacDonald, Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Alan Garner, Lloyd Alexander... Most of these are Ballantine Fantasy Series books, in bags to protect them from dust, etc.
BAF.JPG

More fantasy:
fantasy.JPG

Most of the Peake books are elsewhere. Finally, my collection of Dickens in the orange-spine Penguin Classics editions. I do love those....
dickens orange penguin.JPG

I like the sense of chaos there, Extollager! I'm too OCD for such arrangements, though I approve. My wife wouldn't approve though I suspect. I think I get away with a decent number of books because they at least look tidy. Here is a shot that includes most (not quite all) of my SF & fantasy. All my non-SF is on several wooden bookshelves in the lounge, whereas this is one wall of my 'office':

SF library.jpg

Magazines are mostly on other shelves (though there are some old Astounding's and Galaxy's top left). There is an Asimov collection (middle shelf, 2nd left column), a Niven shelf (middle, far right), a Foster shelf (4th column, second up), Heinlein is far right above Niven, etc.

My Lois McMaster Bujold books, except for one that's out for use now. All except maybe one were gifts from an old-time sf fan.View attachment 80142
What are your thoughts on Bujold and her Vorkosigan saga, Extollager? I've been damning her work with faint praise myself over the years, but I know many folk who think they are superior SF, so I've been wondering whether to give them another go. Next up for me would be The Vor Game, I think (I read maybe the first 4 books). (You can see from my pic I do have the next one sitting there somewhere).

I like the sense of chaos there, Extollager! I'm too OCD for such arrangements, though I approve. My wife wouldn't approve though I suspect. I think I get away with a decent number of books because they at least look tidy. Here is a shot that includes most (not quite all) of my SF & fantasy. All my non-SF is on several wooden bookshelves in the lounge, whereas this is one wall of my 'office':

View attachment 80147

Magazines are mostly on other shelves (though there are some old Astounding's and Galaxy's top left). There is an Asimov collection (middle shelf, 2nd left column), a Niven shelf (middle, far right), a Foster shelf (4th column, second up), Heinlein is far right above Niven, etc.

In the far right top shelf I see a book by Henry Kuttner . is a collection of short stories ?

What are your thoughts on Bujold and her Vorkosigan saga, Extollager? I've been damning her work with faint praise myself over the years, but I know many folk who think they are superior SF, so I've been wondering whether to give them another go. Next up for me would be The Vor Game, I think (I read maybe the first 4 books). (You can see from my pic I do have the next one sitting there somewhere).
I'm not bowled over. I've read the first three novels and perhaps found the first the most interesting (Cordelia's Honor). Next up for me is "The Mountains of Mourning" (a novella) followed by The Vor Game. A friend whose opinion I respect thinks very well of Bujold.

View attachment 80137
The guy sprung for two copies of City and Sands Of Mars. Guess one of his kids will be going to college for a quarter or two.

In the far right top shelf I see a book by Henry Kuttner . is a collection of short stories ?
Your comment was addressed to Bick, but I thought you might like to see a couple of Kuttners from my collection. It's the Millers I prize more, though.
Miller & Kuttner.jpg

I'd guess a trade would require more than one.
Quite possibly! On eBay presently is the Foundation trilogy, in these first editions, top shelf in picture I posted first. Seller wants over £10,000… I’ve seen the first book sell for over $5,000 on its own too.

C804A360-49B0-4F47-91A0-23234062892C.jpeg

Relics of a misspent youth. Some erb top left, shelves of Michael Moorcock and Jack Vance. My problem is lack of shelf space. I have about 8 full size bookcases, all shelves stacked 2 deep, and boxes of books in the attic.

Back