Impressive Classic SF Libraries

She looked to me like she had just sneezed, hence the Covid remark. Anyway a surprising image for a collection of Blackwood stories.

My collection is chaotic as well. I think I have most of those Gnomes in first edition, and a number of Arkham House (I particularly liked Skullface and Others). I have the three Lord of the Ring books in first edition, first printing - paid a fortune for them, $5 apiece, I think - back around 1958. Same for the Foundation Trilogy. I have about 2/3 of Unknown, Astounding complete from 1948 to a few years after Campbell's death - Galaxy, F&SF, If, Venture, etc.

I like looking at these SF/F books on shelves. Here's some choice items. I picked up at a book show the “Isaac Asimov Collection.” Uniformly bound in blue leatherette, commissioned paintings on the front, and galaxy image endpapers. Here is a picture:

resized_961dd3bc-dbf3-478b-a978-e7e8ad788521.jpeg

Inside is a reference to Isaac Asimov bookends being available. I wonder what those looked like.

Another is the « seven Gnomes” first hardcovers of Conan. Also Donald Grant 11-book Conan collection. Sedately uniformly bound, each with interior illustrations.

resized_7c3cf20a-ec9a-4bda-8acc-9e12b6b37b81.jpeg

And the final splurge was Wandering Star’s Robert E. Howard collection. Original texts, heavy paper, extravagantly bound, slipcased, gold edged, color and b/w art. Expensive but definitive. The Soloman Kane had a CD of poetry readings set to music/sound effects.

resized_e7d5696b-c0ad-4324-a6e1-87cafc4f6ebc.jpeg

Wandering Star couldn’t afford to continue the series and put the later books out in trade paperback editions in trade channels. Good I suppose to get REH out into B&N and such, but the specialness was lost.

Some very nice collections here, now would you guys let me have your addresses and where you keep your spare keys, also holiday plans would be good!

Back