DISCUSSION THREAD -- JULY 2021 75 Word Writing Challenge

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
Greetings, all! The story thread for July's 75 Word Writing Challenge is now up, and is located here:

The selections for the month are:

THEME

Relationships

GENRE

Speculative Fiction

Here is a Wikipedia link for Speculative Fiction:

I went with Speculative so that folks who like to write genres such as horror or supernatural fiction, and others, would have the chance to go with their favorite type of story.

Remember, one of you will win the Challenge this month, so good luck with your writing! :)

For the first time ever!! I looked and there was no story in the current month's 75 word challenge, and no moaning about "How am I ever going to write a story about that?" in the discussion thread. ---- HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE!

For the first time ever!! I looked and there was no story in the current month's 75 word challenge, and no moaning about "How am I ever going to write a story about that?" in the discussion thread. ---- HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE!
I might be tempted this month - @Cat's Cradle might get my votes forever if we get this kinda genre choice.

Horror and relationships? Thanksgiving family dinners? My violent ex? Such fertile ground :D

@Bren G .... Love Hurts .... Sometimes victors can be so dense as to lose the peace by their lack of understanding in key relationships.

This one is going to be hard for those of us who live on desert islands.

Grrrr... this is screaming out for a loving tale about the Dark Lord and the Minion. Pity that one is dead and the other is missing, presumed dead.

@Luiglin .... Once upon a time… .... Well you see there was this author, Luiglin, who shares his intimate relationship with his characters.

@Astro Pen .... Star Struck .... A.P. sees loving relationships in the in the strangest places and in the longest of time frames.

@Cat's Cradle .... I’ll Help You Tomorrow .... C.C. sees something wicked wicked coming in the guise of a loving relationship.

@paranoid marvin .... Sweet Dreams Sweet Dreams .... P.M. points us to the family relationships that focuses on the best of life.

@Guttersnipe .... Cupid on a Bad Day .... Yikes, this is a cautionary tale about mangled love.

@Mon0Zer0 .... Wannacry .... M-Zero lifts the curtain on loving relationship too late by almost every measure.

@Bren G - Love Hurts - Something about getting into the dragon's head and the word usage of "conquering" was enjoyable and added a lot of world building. I find myself asking questions about the dragon, the people's reactions to it, and the overall world very naturally.

@Luiglin - Once upon a time - I took this as a commentary on story telling itself, and the language felt very uplifting and exciting when imagining the impact that story has on us.

@Astro Pen - Star Struck - Love the title. I imagine Milky Way as this hopeless romantic just basking in the intellectual power of Andromeda. It's a fun imagery and gives a strong "eros (romantic love)" vibe.

@Cat's Cradle - I'll Help You Tomorrow - I find the main character very interesting, this dark and powerful creature that has some understanding of emotion because he chooses to show a small amount of mercy to a companion.

@paranoid marvin - Sweet Dreams - I find myself thinking about something similar in real life, what would I do if there was a pill to extend life indefinitely. Would I take it or not? Pondering the old lady's motivations for "taking the pill" so to speak is interesting.

@Guttersnipe - Cupid on a Bad Day - Chaotic Cupid, sounds like one heck of a D&D character. I really appreciate the "yes, but" on this story. Yes, you get your wish granted, but now you hate the thing you wanted the most.

@Mon0Zer0 - Wannacry - I really liked the line "I'm truly here with him." The subtle theme of cherishing loved ones in this story is relatable, sad, and thought provoking.

Bren B: Sometimes it is possible to kill with kindness.

Luiglin: Mental creation is as real as physical creation.

Astro Pen: No one is too vast to be completed by another.

Cat's Cradle: The last act of cruelty can be a mercy.

paranoid marvin: Memories of the past can be more powerful than realities of the present.

Guttersnipe: Unreciprocated feelings can lead to chaos.

Mon0Zer0: One's personal loss can seem universal.

AltLifeAStory: The whole is often more powerful than the sum of the parts.

@DanielOwen .... Immortal .... Some rationalizations are nothing more than sour grapes. (I don't want what I can't have.)

@Peter V .... Far From the Tree ..... Being close to the throne does not always mean being influential, nor does it mean being physically close to the throne.

Back