DISCUSSION THREAD -- JULY 2021 75 Word Writing Challenge

First, a huge thank you to nixie, Chrispy, Parson, and johnnyjet for the mentions. They made my day. :)

Secondly, an apology. I may have inadvertently made this a three-way tie, by voting for @The Judge.

It's always a good field, but stand-outs for me were:
@mosaix, who made me shudder, and dislike the characters, but love the story (a great feat);
@Bren G, who gave me a laugh with the dry, knowing humour in the last line;
@Peter V, who took a good trope, and twisted it so well, I wanted more from the story; and
@Ashleyne, who remains a most compelling writer, whose work continues to amaze me. Hers was very nearly the vote, and I just wish I had two.

Tough choices this Challenge, and lots of excitement in the voting... many can win, this time!
Here are my lists:

Honorables:
Luiglin, farntfar, Dan Jones, Wayne Mack, nixie, mosaix, Ursa major

Shortlist:
Astro Pen, DanielOwen, JS Wiig, Ashleyne, Fiberglass Cyborg

Oh-So-Close:
The Judge (very good and funny tale, TJ)

Vote:
Hugh's sweet and gentle story of a life.

Best of luck snagging today's votes, everyone, CC

edit: forgive me, farntfar, I wanted to thank you for the listing, merci!
edit 2: I see I also missed chrispenycate's listing - thank you chrispenycate!!

Currently just one more vote for Hugh would give a 4 way tie breaker!
Would that be a historic record?

As ever one or two stories I couldn't fathom or which I didn't feel quite hit the theme, but that still left it hard to summon up a short shortlist, but here it is:

BT Jones -- Apathetic Adolescent -- someone needs to grow up very quickly or there will be real trouble​
Cat's Cradle -- I'll Help You Tomorrow -- ooh, nasty, CC!​
chrispenycate -- Kept it in the family -- relative relativity related​
DanielOwen -- Immortal -- the narrator doth protest too much, methinks​
Daysman -- Note to Self -- time-twisting and double-crossing​
Hugh -- My Dragon -- a sweet tale as second childhood brings back childhood friends​
Mon0Zer0 -- Wannacry -- I confess I'm not sure I understood it, but excellent writing triumphed​
mosaix -- Reunion -- where the wages of sin fall due​
Wayne Mack -- The Clone -- ethics and compassion and a life and death decision​
After re-reading them all and a lot of umming and ahhing it came down to a toss-up between two entries, but BT Jones and his warning tale just pipped Daysman to the winning post for my vote.

Goodness, I never expected so much attention for my daft piece! But handsome, hand-kissing thanks for the lovely mentions and shortlistings sule, BTJ, Phyrebrat, Chris p, Luiglin and CC, and worth-every-penny (and a whole lot more!) serial but highly monogamous thanks for the stupendous votes Mon0Zer0, Parson, johnnyjet, farntfar and Aber!

Currently just one more vote for Hugh would give a 4 way tie breaker!
Would that be a historic record?
In the 75s, yes, though there have been two instances of 3-way tie breaks, but there was a 4-way in the 300s back in October 2011.

(I'm already ironing the peach-coloured taffeta, because whatever happens, it's inevitable I'll be bridesmaid yet again...)

Well that came down to the wire - more so with me being in North Wales with on/off connections.

Thanks for the votes @chrispenycate @Victoria Silverwolf @Hugh @Daysman @BT Jones and @Lawrence Twiddy plus the mentions folks.

Well played to @mosaix and @The Judge for the close call, one I voted for and the other in my top 3.

To say we all have close relationships to our characters and stories is an understatement. They exist because we dream them up and for me at least they all have their own voices and thoughts.

I just wish that they'd get their act together so I can become published :ROFLMAO:

Back