July 2021 Reading Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
john o'brien cartel two.the books are interesting. just don't expect some masterpiece.

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES by Ray Bradbury .
yep, it came and went away in january in the usa. but then again it always came back. there's a new series by laurell hamilton in august and a new book by john conroe coming out. in laurell lets see if it's more cop or more sex lol

Reading this one here, by Nick Cole....

A company of American Rangers, initially assigned to protect a downed top secret research plane, suddenly find themselves teleported to a grim future with Earth overrun by orcs, goblins and mages.

With no likelihood of assistance forthcoming the Rangers dig in and prepare for assault.

Soon the Forces of Darkness find themselves charging towards foxholes from which deadly leaden defiance is hurled forth

Screenshot_20210724-231134.jpg

I have started The Diary of a Bookseller (2017) by Shaun Bythell, which is exactly what the title promises. The author owns a used bookstore in Scotland, and this volume records his day-by-day experiences. I also have a couple of books by the same author on the same subject. So far, it can be summed up as proof positive that you don't want to be a bookseller, given the precarious financial aspects and the many annoying aspects of both employees and customers.

I have now started Confessions of a Bookseller (2019) by the same author, which has the exact same format consisting of a day-by-day account of a year dealing with the eccentricities of workers and consumers.

I have now started Confessions of a Bookseller (2019) by the same author, which has the exact same format consisting of a day-by-day account of a year dealing with the eccentricities of workers and consumers.
I take it that you liked the troublesome life of a bookseller. (Is it perchance based on a real life situation?)

Next up Sepulchre by James Herbert (1987)
you knoww... it's still to early for haloween... i know time goes by quickly but... speaking of that it floored me to discover amy winehosue had died 10 years ago... i thought 5 tops...

It's been a long time since i read it, but i remember Sepulchre being pretty good. I love that you're going back through the old James Herbert books. He seems to be rarely mentioned these days, which is a huge shame.

KILL CREEK by Scott Thomas

A solid entry in the haunted house story, more Richard Matheson's Hell House than Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, though I suspect the latter had some influence.

I do think Thomas shows some first novel jitters. Duringthe first third Thomas tends to overwrite his descriptions, but that irons out a lot as he ends the set-up and the plot takes over.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells

All_Systems_Red.jpg

(Apologies for the boldness - can't seem to turn it off!)

A somewhat overpriced Novella that you could read in 2 hours. I'm surprised this has garnered such lavish praise as I can't find too much to redeem it so far. Not too fond of the writing style, and it seems a little trivial. "The Murderbot Diaries" seems like a title cooked up by a YA random title generator. Characters are unmemorable and, bar a few funny lines here and there, it's a bit of a slog to get through. What am I missing, here?

All Systems Red by Martha Wells

View attachment 80415

(Apologies for the boldness - can't seem to turn it off!)

A somewhat overpriced Novella that you could read in 2 hours. I'm surprised this has garnered such lavish praise as I can't find too much to redeem it so far. Not too fond of the writing style, and it seems a little trivial. "The Murderbot Diaries" seems like a title cooked up by a YA random title generator. Characters are unmemorable and, bar a few funny lines here and there, it's a bit of a slog to get through. What am I missing, here?
No, I'm afraid I don't think you are missing anything. I am aware that there are some here who love these books so I will restrict myself to pointing to my comments in the reviews sub forum.

I finished forgotten ruin by Nick Cole, it turned out to be a quite good mil sci fi - with American Rangers shooting up orcs and goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back