(Found) alien invasion, altering own dna

DeltaVee

• Media - Paperback novel
  • Original year of publication/airing - read about 20 years ago
  • Major themes - alien invasion, artifact discovery
  • Plot (as much as you can remember) some object is discovered, an alien communication is established and promises of knowledge exchange,,tech benefitting mankind are made if humans co-operate, another alien being (different alien race) comes to earth to warn humanity off allowing them access to earth as they are some sort of ravenous hive creatures. The book ends with the small group of scientists being able to manipulate their own DNA and they improve themselves and make plans to slowly teach the world in order to combat a future alien invasion.
  • Setting Earth, USA
  • Characters (names, descriptions) scientists, researchers, I don't remember names. One of them chemically altered his DNA to produce more of some chemical that he believed would make him smarter but it is slowly killing him. The second alien (the good one) is stupified by the primitive humans fixes him by teaching him how to "read and write" his own DNA which involved doing some gesture in the palm of his hand. This phrase "read and write" is used a few times as the humans don't realize what the alien is referring to. She describes how her race developed the ability to "read and write" and now combat the bad aliens when they can.
  • The language you read or heard the story in English
  • Details about the cover, if applicable none, sorry just a vague recollection of an object, a cube maybe?
  • Target audience/age group any Sci Fi fan really
  • Ideas that you have already ruled out (for example, if you know the story was not written by Asimov, then tell us so that we can save time) ##

Last edited:
Thanks for coming back with the answer - I've just looked it up and I think I actually read it!
However I only remember the collider in Texas and the snark

I'll maybe get it again myself, I have looked through all my ebooks and I have "Twistor" by him - but I really don't think I've ever even started to read it!

I'll maybe get it again myself, I have looked through all my ebooks and I have "Twistor" by him - but I really don't think I've ever even started to read it!
It's worth it, it is an interesting read. I didn't get all the details right in my description but I got pretty damn close.

Back