Scientists identify 29 planets where aliens could observe Earth

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter

For centuries, Earthlings have gazed at the heavens and wondered about life among the stars. But as humans hunted for little green men, the extraterrestrials might have been watching us back.

In new research, astronomers have drawn up a shortlist of nearby star systems where any inquisitive inhabitants on orbiting planets would be well placed to spot life on Earth.

The scientists identified 1,715 star systems in our cosmic neighbourhood where alien observers could have discovered Earth in the past 5,000 years by watching it “transit” across the face of the sun.

Among those in the right position to observe an Earth transit, 46 star systems are close enough for their planets to intercept a clear signal of human existence – the radio and TV broadcasts which started about 100 years ago.

20130115_radio_broadcasts.jpg

Just went on a google for info and came up with this, very interesting image of how far our 'radio footprint' has extended into our solar system. The little blue dot is 200 light years wide.

When you figure that all out, the next explanation needed is - how does consciousness arise from material structures and why does does it appear to be a prerequisite in bringing reality into existence?

When you figure that all out, the next explanation needed is - how does consciousness arise from material structures and why does does it appear to be a prerequisite in bringing reality into existence?

Give me a moment, I'll check google.

Obvious next step: watch those 29 planets very, very closely. Maybe those 46 if you're feeling optimistic. Or pessimistic.

According to New Scientist a couple of years ago, cosmologists are trying to solve the Boltzmann Brain problem. Which is to say, to show that the "typical observer" of our Universe is not a spontaneously generated quantum space brain from the year 5 trillion. This feels to me like a missed opportunity: maybe the Universe makes more sense if you look at it from a Boltzmann brain's point of view?

Back