Your favourite game characters?

She doesn't really do anything but this .. it's enough :LOL:

Else God-Hater.jpg

Albert Wesker. A great fighter, even better schemer and world class backstabber. He’s what all villains should be: Ruthless, cunning,deadly and never accepting anything below success. It’s a shame that you can’t as him more in a story outside umbrella chronicles

Surely gaming is bound to be more immersive than cinema, so it's not really a comparison? You get to be the main character after all. It's up to you whether the main character progresses or not. Many games have much more time than cinema to get you immersed too.

I think Mario is a great character, and he's even gained an air of coolness about him in recent years.

Guybrush Threepwood from the Monkey Island games is hilarious, and Coach from Golf Story is pretty funny too:

1627421891055.png

Joanna Dark stood out in the 90s when there weren't many decent female characters in games, and Elvis the alien from Perfect Dark was great too.

I think a lot of 80s and early 90s games managed to inject characters with personality, even when limited by the technology of the time. E.g. Dizzy, the snakes from Snake, Rattle n Roll, the blob from A Boy and His Blob.

I haven't played many of the well-known story-driven games of recent years yet but have a few on my list...

Surely gaming is bound to be more immersive than cinema, so it's not really a comparison? You get to be the main character after all. It's up to you whether the main character progresses or not. Many games have much more time than cinema to get you immersed too.

I think Mario is a great character, and he's even gained an air of coolness about him in recent years.

Guybrush Threepwood from the Monkey Island games is hilarious, and Coach from Golf Story is pretty funny too:

View attachment 80444

Joanna Dark stood out in the 90s when there weren't many decent female characters in games, and Elvis the alien from Perfect Dark was great too.

I think a lot of 80s and early 90s games managed to inject characters with personality, even when limited by the technology of the time. E.g. Dizzy, the snakes from Snake, Rattle n Roll, the blob from A Boy and His Blob.

I haven't played many of the well-known story-driven games of recent years yet but have a few on my list...

Guybrush is/was an excellent character, but I think he lost a little something when he began to have a spoken voice. I guess when you have been playing the older games for years, you already have an image of the character's voice in your head, so that when you finally hear it there's is a likelihood it won't be what you were expecting/hoping for.

On the other hand, the voice characters from Day of The Tentacle I think we're all fabulously done, and help to make it such a wonderful adventure. As much as I like the earlier Monkey Island games, the puzzles, characters and inventive puzzles from DOTT gave it the edge for me.

I agree that the 80s and early 90s had some great characters, and this was probably because of the fact that technical constraints meant that you had to fill in many of the blanks in their make up. Dizzy is a good example, as are the likes of Miner Willy, Dynamite Dan, Jetman and Eric from Skool Daze.

Albert Wesker.

Not "master of unlocking" Jill Valentine?

My favourite characters from games are a bit daft:

Earthworm Jim
Duke Nukem
Doom Guy
Thomas (Kung Fu Master)
Rick (Splatterhouse)
Arthur (Ghosts N Goblins)
Isaac Clarke (Dead Space)
Geralt of Rivia
Guybrush Threepwood
Bilbo Baggins (Hobbit text based rpg)

Jon Irenicus from Baldur's Gate II.

Also Syous & D'raven from Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara as playable characters.

Kain and Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series

Raziel is my waifu. I've been lightly ribbed for the necrophilia.

I'm not sure that I've played many other games with strong character arcs. Sly Cooper does have a noble goal concerning his family legacy. Kratos has pathos. The Prince of Persia doesn't even have a name as far as I remember. I'm not sure how much Daxter is really bothered by not being 'human.'

He used to have his own TV show. He had a wife and kids, if I remember rightly, which is quite an extrapolation from the game.

I'd have to give an honourable mention to Sienna, the enthusiastically-acted wizard from the Vermintide games, who sounds like one of the great dames of British theatre on a massive night out.

Brilliant game. Very dated now, but for its time it was really irreverent, surreal and witty. Plus, the 8-bit beats were Jammin', as Toejam would say! Great characters; they never said much but they were just so weird and cool.
I spent so many hours playing toejam and earl. Thanks for the memory! My brain went straight to modern games, I forgot how old I am.
One of my favorite games of all time was Rock and Roll Racing. Can't forget Mutant League Hockey, NBA Jam, Joe Montana Football, Wayne Gretzky's Hockey, a Sega genesis Fifa and Royal Rumble. So many good classics. Mario Paint lol remembering so many good games.
Fav characters would have to be Master Chief from Halo 3 and, none other than, Seph-a-Roth dunah dunah dunah dunah Seph-a-roth. I also really enjoy Red 13 and the Cosmo canyon music. The original You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet track still plays in my head years later. Can't forget Symphony of the Night Castlevania. Thanks for the nostalgia! I could go on for days

I didn't know that. "the title was changed for the North American release to mitigate vandalism." -wikipedia so funny, I might have never put that together without your description. Poor Mrs.PacMan having to put up with her husband's insatiable desires.
I installed flooring in a house on the outskirts of Oxford, Ohio years ago. The widow living in this very large house claimed her husband was one of the original developers of the game. I thought it was interesting having been a gamer for most of my life.

I guess I have to mention my human warlock from World of Warcraft: Bergynon. So many years of my life spent playing this character, downing bosses and humiliating opponents in pvp. Sometimes getting my own faced wiped against the pavement in gruesome battles. Fine! A lot of that, too! lol Some epic experiences being in top tier guilds, being the first guilds to down raid bosses on a realm and being part of the turning tide in massive pvp battles once our guilds roll onto the battleground. So many mentions on forums cursing us for crushing their hopes and dreams. What a great time!
I do believe I got the name from one of the younger sons of the House Baenre bloodline in R.A.Salvatore's drow city Menzoberranzan. He was a lowly figure, but my Bergy achieved great valor. I was never in any of the nationally, or internationally ranked guilds, the game was already enough of my life to not fully immerse the entirety of it into the game, but I was regularly ranked in the top 100 on a few realms and was fortunate enough to hold the number one slot for warlocks on several occasions. This character alone has literally over 365 days worth of hours logged in gameplay! I tanked with a dwarf warrior named Arcanisia regularly. Inspired by one of my favorite Magic the Gathering cards: Arcanis, the Omnipotent. And a Dranaei Shaman named Waar I healed with.
I really don't game at all these days now that I have dived completely into the world of writing fiction, but there are so many fond memories of downing bosses and slaying opponents with good friends in my past.

I liked Jedi: Fallen Order and enjoyed Cal Kestis and his crew. I especially liked the sardonic humour of Merin. Looking forward to revisiting Cal's story in Jedi: Survivor.

Deacon St. John in Day's Gone has been a lot of fun to play.

Amanda Ripley. Good shout.

I'm going to give Horizon Zero Dawn another go in a few weeks. I suspect that Aloy will become a favourite.